• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paypal dispute

Stylego

Reaction score

Very odd. sam.herbert.8, this buyer of the penny w/ cross... all he does is buy one cent items.
You make a good point. Usually I just check the number of feedbacks and the rating. I'll be certain to check the items in the future too.
All looks rather dodgy to me.

I check out buyers ALL the time. If I'd been the seller I would have canceled the transaction from this particular purchaser.

chiggah

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack your thread but i'm in a similar situation and instead of creating a new thread i'll post here. There are 3 people involved here:

- I'm the buyer and the seller was on SF here is the link http://www.styleforum.net/t/285273/-

- Settled on price and seller provided paypal email

- I paid via paypal to [email protected] with goods NOT gift

- jripper accepted payment because he sold a camera to the scammer babylon on SF and told jripper that his best friend (me) will be paying for the camera and jripper accepted it. Here is the ebay listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/170771250533#ht_500wt_1156

- so basically i paid to jripper and he thought i was paying for the camera. I even linked that i was paying for the macbook in the additional information in paypal

- jripper already shipped the camera to the address

- babylon provided tracking but it's a domestic one to the USA as per USPS tracking site. Should be international as im in new zealand.
- Tracking number is 9505500029612033000129

- Seller stopped all communication and i emailed [email protected], but he does not know what im talking about. He just said he sold a gentlemen on styleforum a camera. Now i have opened a paypal dispute/claim as well as a credit card dispute with my bank

- jripper copied all conversations with the scammer to ebay and paypal, and agreed we both got scammed

I know its my fault for not checking thoroughly first and also person on paypal jripper for accepting the payment carelessly

What else can i do now ? I'm down $612 on my credit card :/

Would help if someone can share a similar experience.. :/

Last edited:

Stylego

Reaction score

Would help if someone can share a similar experience.. :/

Call your credit card company or bank and report the fraud.
Contact PayPal and report the fraud.
Contact the Police (if you want, they can't do much, but it may help your CC fraud or bank refund).

I've been ripped off once and both the CCC and PayPal took care of it with no issues.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From that it is near impossible to determine what happened. It sounds like you bought something and the seller sent it to someone else. Not sure how that is your fault or why you are even involved to this depth, but maybe you can clear that up.

Also, you said you're out $612 - so I'm guessing you negotiated the price down by a direct payment off of eBay and circumventing eBay fees - in which case how and why are you involving eBay?

How would someone happen to pick an auction on eBay at random, then say that someone on SF is paying for it. How on earth would this happen outside of the seller trying to scam you? How can you confirm he legitimately had this shadow conversation with the other person "Babylon" - or isn't Babylon himself?

Last edited:

chiggah

Reaction score
Yeah done the above apart from police

Raised a dispute and escalated to a claim on paypal. Paypal person i paid to apparently responded to the claim that he was scammed and copied all emails between him and the scammer on ebay to paypal. I don't see them in the claim but he has forwarded them to me personally.

Have filled in a dispute form to my credit card/bank but unfortunately they cant simply reverse the payment. Have to be investigated etc

chiggah

Reaction score

From that it is near impossible to determine what happened. It sounds like you bought something and the seller sent it to someone else. Not sure how that is your fault or why you are even involved to this depth, but maybe you can clear that up.
Also, you said you're out $612 - so I'm guessing you negotiated the price down by a direct payment off of eBay and circumventing eBay fees - in which case how and why are you involving eBay?
How would someone happen to pick an auction on eBay at random, then say that someone on SF is paying for it. How on earth would this happen outside of the seller trying to scam you? How can you confirm he legitimately had this shadow conversation with the other person "Babylon" - or isn't Babylon himself?

I bought a macbook on SF. "babylon" negotiated down to the same price of the camera on ebay which is $612 including shipping

Babylon said to pay to [email protected]. I paid for the macbook to the that email but person who is selling the camera thought I was paying for the camera because the scammer "babylon" said to jripper that his paypal account has issues and not verified and will get his best friend to pay for it (which is me, but I did not know anything about this)

I can't confirm if its a shadow conversation or not, but jripper forwarded me the conversations he had with "babylon" over ebay

"How would someone happen to pick an auction on eBay at random, then say that someone on SF is paying for it. "
I suppose its just timing and the scammer just tried to buy/browse something on ebay for about $600

if you want, i can forward the conversations to your email

Last edited:

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a macbook on SF. "babylon" negotiated down to the same price of the camera on ebay which is $612
Babylon said to pay to [email protected]. I paid for the macbook to the that email but person who is selling the camera thought I was paying for the camera because the scammer "babylon" said to jripper that his paypal account has issues and not verified and will get his best friend to pay for it (which is me, but I did not know anything about this)
I don't know if its a shadow conversation or not, but jripper forwarded me the conversations he had with "babylon" over ebay
if you want, i can forward the conversations to your email

Much clearer, thank you. Hate to say it, but that seller is out of luck. He should have never accepted the payment to begin with and done his due diligence. Accepting payments outside of eBay puts him in a bad position for recouping anything.

You should be fine - no package delivered to you so PayPal should return your funds without any hassle.

Last edited:

chiggah

Reaction score
Thanks that's what i thought

I was like "why the hell did you accept payment from someone else with a verified address to New Zealand but shipped the camera to Newark, Delaware...?!?!"

How long should it take to resolve by paypal ?

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks that's what i thought
I was like "why the hell did you accept payment from someone else with a verified address to New Zealand but shipped the camera to Newark, Delaware...?!?!"
How long should it take to resolve by paypal ?

In 99% of cases, Paypal will take the buyers side. You should be safe.

However, in terms of tardiness, dont expect this guy to be in town when dealing with Paypal

lbtemple

Reaction score
paypal is evil, if you intend on seriously selling on ebay open a merchant account. If you stay with them try to withdraw the money as quickly as you can so that they do not freeze your account and sit on your money for six months. It happened to me in the past - I sold several watches and they sat on $20K of my money for six months. Afterwards, despite all items being delivered and receiving positive feedback, they returned the money with no apology, cancelled my account and told me to never return there. I can never understand why anybody would ever sell anything through them.

chiggah

Reaction score
who else can you go through besides paypal then ?

Stylego

Reaction score

who else can you go through besides paypal then ?

Nothing on eBay. It's a requirement. eBay's gotten much sketchier over the past couple years. I retreated to various forums that specialized in whatever I was selling, but, as we've learned, the criminal element has crept into these realms too.

One thing about filing the police report. If you've got the home address of this 'babylon' then there's a chance the police might crack their nut.

chiggah

Reaction score

Nothing on eBay. It's a requirement. eBay's gotten much sketchier over the past couple years. I retreated to various forums that specialized in whatever I was selling, but, as we've learned, the criminal element has crept into these realms too.
One thing about filing the police report. If you've got the home address of this 'babylon' then there's a chance the police might crack their nut.

I only have the address of the camera delivered to 'babylon' which jripper gave me

524 stafford ave
Newark de 19711

We don't even know if that's a fake address or not lol

But the thing is, i'm in New Zealand and not from the States

Investigated further based on information I have:

- jripper forwarded me the following from his conversation on ebay with 'babylon' http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/viintage23/ebayissue2.jpg

- jripper forwarded me the following from his conversation on ebay with 'babylon' http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/viintage23/ebay.jpg

- Reverse address http://www.411.com/name/Jeffrey-R-Wainwright/Newark-DE/4ka98a6

- Timmy Von Duke's facebook as per paypal account http://www.facebook.com/timmy.vonduyke

- Timmy's phone number 302 593 3485 which was listed on his facebook

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads