• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Smith jeans turn legs blue

greyhound

Reaction score
I bought some nice dark indigo PS jeans from House of Fraser for £100. They are a good fit, nice colour, white stitching. quite a lightweight denim. However, on removing the jeans, I noticed my legs were blue. Have washed them and worn them 4 or 5 times since, and still end up with blue tinted limbs.

This doesn't seem acceptable to me. Apparently it is a known feature of the denim and there is supposed to be some sort of disclaimer, not that I saw one. Aside from leg tint problems, these jeans also presumably have the potential to stain light coloured furniture and ruin the rest of your laundry. I plan to get a refund, but would be interested in any views or similar experiences.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greyhound
I bought some nice dark indigo PS jeans from House of Fraser for £100. They are a good fit, nice colour, white stitching. quite a lightweight denim. However, on removing the jeans, I noticed my legs were blue. Have washed them and worn them 4 or 5 times since, and still end up with blue tinted limbs.

This doesn't seem acceptable to me. Apparently it is a known feature of the denim and there is supposed to be some sort of disclaimer, not that I saw one. Aside from leg tint problems, these jeans also presumably have the potential to stain light coloured furniture and ruin the rest of your laundry. I plan to get a refund, but would be interested in any views or similar experiences.

you're going to get jean wearer's blue leg, it's like a miner's black lung except 10x worse.
frown.gif
sorry bro you're gonna have to get em amputated if you wanna survive

srgprod

Reaction score

I have several pairs of Paul Smith jeans and never had any problem with them bleeding. They source from top denim producers and have excellent production controls. Why don't you contact Paul Smith and tell them what's going on. I'm sure they'll want to hear from you and help you find a solution.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
raw jeans bleed...some are much worse than others. I hate when that happens, so the only raws I have are Diors MII

greyhound

Reaction score
SRGProd - I have been in touch with their customer services dept and they say:

"Indigo dye used on the jeans will always rub off, otherwise you would not obtain this effect of the Indigo colour"

That sounds like a lot of crap to me. I have had indigo coloured garments before and the manufacturers seem to have found a way of fixng the dye.

There is no warning of any kind on the garment, save the standard "wash dark colours separately." Certainly no "bind limbs in muslin before donning trousers" or "avoid sitting on white sofas."

Next stop trading standards if they don't give me a refund.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Indigo dye used on the jeans will always rub off, otherwise you would not obtain this effect of the Indigo colour"

That sounds like a lot of crap to me. I have had indigo coloured garments before and the manufacturers seem to have found a way of fixng the dye.

There is no warning of any kind on the garment, save the standard "wash dark colours separately." Certainly no "bind limbs in muslin before donning trousers" or "avoid sitting on white sofas."

That is unacceptable. Demand that they also add an info label to future products to prevent it from happening to others. Include this video to help explain your experience from the indigo in the jeans:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

trafficjam

Reaction score
This is a big problem. Indigo isn't water soluble, so you know you'll have to use a LOT of abrasion to get it off your legs.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many jeans do come with these warnings actually... except they write "colour may transfer to other garments"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads