• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pantherella wool socks?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe someone should pick up a big batch from the discounters and flip them here. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable surcharge.

CaptChaos

Reaction score
You can get them online at STP. I believe they still have cotton and wool versions on sale.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carey
even on low or delicate. My wife has ruined more than one pair of my wool Pantherella socks this way.

At full retail expect to pay at least $25.00 per pair.

They are comfortable, and don't sag or bunch up in the shoe the way a cotton sock does. Pantherella is top quality.

To each his own. I put all my wool and cashmere socks in the dryer on low and haven't had any problems. I buy them all on discount, though, so if any got ruined I wouldn't have to cry.

dacs7

Reaction score
A UK website called, bizarrly, woodsofshropshire, has lots of pantherella at good prices. Liking the sea island cotton socks, I decided to order 25 pairs. I use the "one sock" system, which, while boring, makes life much simpler, especially for the girlfriend washing my socks. And the pleasure of opening a drawer and seeing nothing but the same sock is great.

So I put in the order, and the next day at lunch, my credit card is declined. I call the credit card-- shut down-- they suspect fraud because of the UK website transaction. I tell them, it's okay, I ordered socks from this british company. The woman is obviously amused, and says, you ordered almost $500 worth of socks from England? I told her, yes, they are very nice socks...

For a moment, I thought to myself, I've really just got to go back to shopping at the mall and stop reading SF...

swiego

Reaction score
I've had some Pantherella wool socks for some years and they admittedly are very nice. I don't consider them to be terribly durable (not bad but certainly not markedly better than the $1 dress socks I've bought at TJ Maxx) however they are exceptionally comfortable, and the only socks that seem designed to fit the shape of my feet perfectly. They also stay dry and never ever seem to pick up an odor. Thumbs up as a luxury item, I'd definitelly recommend owning a pair or two until you have the werewithal to buy more.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by swiego
I've had some Pantherella wool socks for some years and they admittedly are very nice. I don't consider them to be terribly durable (not bad but certainly not markedly better than the $1 dress socks I've bought at TJ Maxx) however they are exceptionally comfortable, and the only socks that seem designed to fit the shape of my feet perfectly. They also stay dry and never ever seem to pick up an odor. Thumbs up as a luxury item, I'd definitelly recommend owning a pair or two until you have the werewithal to buy more.

But aside from the fact that pantherella socks are exceptionally comfortable, the only socks that fit your feet perfectly, stay dry and never pick up odor they arent any different from your $1 TJ Maxx socks?
tounge.gif

swiego

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
But aside from the fact that pantherella socks are exceptionally comfortable, the only socks that fit your feet perfectly, stay dry and never pick up odor they arent any different from your $1 TJ Maxx socks?
tounge.gif

Honestly, these things are always opportunity cost decisions and for me, they're great socks but don't necessarily make a marked improvement in my quality of life. Comfortable shoes, a good jacket, great lenses on sunglasses during summer... all these things I definitely can appreciate. In contrast, about the only time I think about how good (or bad) my socks are is when I'm putting them on. And that's usually about ten seconds in the morning. So while I think they are superior to cheapo socks, I don't consider them to be major part of my wardrobe decision(s). If those ten seconds are slightly less than the pinnacle of luxurious living, that's okay with me.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wool Pantherella's STP has listed are 30% nylon ... are these the socks being referred to above ? Or are there other options, with a lower nylon content ?

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stick with 10% synthetics or less for best results. 20% is iffy and 30% too much. You will notice the difference in feel, temperature, and performance when damp.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads