• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTR vs. MTM: Suits and Shirts

cjp

Reaction score
I realize this has been talked about in various other posts, but i'm was hoping to get everyone's differing opinions on the following decision.

I'm in the market for a couple of new suits and several shirts for work. I live in NYC, so i have access to many of the places that are mentioned on this site, including both discount stores and tailors. So, my two questions are:

If i'm looking for a few new suits in the $1000 - $1500 range, is it better to find a discounted high end brand: Isaia, Canali, Corneliani, Oxxford...etc at a discount store or online at somewhere like Shopthefinest.com, STP, etc. ....or to go to one of the tailors in that price range: Mr. Ned, WW Chan, etc....and have a suit MTM???

If i'm looking for new shirts in the $125 - $200 range...same question. Better to find a high end brand: Borrelli, Barba, Finamore, etc...discounted or to have shirts made at places like CEGO, Chan, Geneva, etc...

Millerp

Reaction score
If you can find ready to wear suits and shirts that
fit you well and have the styling and fabrics you
like, there is no "practical" reason to go MTM.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cjp
I realize this has been talked about in various other posts, but i'm was hoping to get everyone's differing opinions on the following decision.

I'm in the market for a couple of new suits and several shirts for work. I live in NYC, so i have access to many of the places that are mentioned on this site, including both discount stores and tailors. So, my two questions are:

If i'm looking for a few new suits in the $1000 - $1500 range, is it better to find a discounted high end brand: Isaia, Canali, Corneliani, Oxxford...etc at a discount store or online at somewhere like Shopthefinest.com, STP, etc. ....or to go to one of the tailors in that price range: Mr. Ned, WW Chan, etc....and have a suit MTM???

If i'm looking for new shirts in the $125 - $200 range...same question. Better to find a high end brand: Borrelli, Barba, Finamore, etc...discounted or to have shirts made at places like CEGO, Chan, Geneva, etc...

You're always better off having your shirts made for you. Shirts are entirely about fit.

At your price point, I'd probably stay with OTR if it fits you reasonably.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads