• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTR or MTM suits for my build?

dsmolken

Reaction score
I need a new suit and I'm pretty oddly proportioned - 5'10", 209 lbs, 35" waist, 45" chest, 40" hips, 27" thighs, 17 1/2" neck. Not athletic looking, more manual-laborer-ish. The problem seems to be with the trousers - any that have room for my bubble butt seem to be 4-5 inches too big in the waist. Trying to take the waist in by that much is asking for trouble, right?

The last time I bought a suit in the spring I was about 15 pounds lighter but fatter than I am now so it wasn't really a problem. But now it seems to be. I've got some MTM trousers and shirts, so getting a suit made wouldn't be a giant leap... I'm just wondering what other options I might have, though.

Mark Bannerman

Reaction score
I would always go for the made to measure over off the rack option ever day of the week PROVIDING you know of a tailor that you like the style of and therefore happy to proceed.. unfortunatley my knowledge of tailors in purely UK/London based. But have a look at your local offerings and give it ago...

dsmolken

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The MTM services of the bigger Polish makers are definitely something I'll have to investigate. I don't think I'm brave or well-informed enough to go with an independent tailor at this point. I don't think Zegna is sold in my city, but I will give that a look next time I'm in Warsaw or in Switzerland.

It's kinda tough trying to figure out what you need when you're a completely different shape and size than you used to be just a few years ago, isn't it?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
stick with the m2m.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads