• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

options for first tailored shirts

noremac

Reaction score
Hello:
I'm new to the custom clothing world and it's a bit overwhelming. I'm going to be getting a few new shirts in a couple weeks, and I need to order some "standard" shirts to start out my wardrobe. There are so many options, it's hard to know what I should choose before I get more adventurous.

I'm thinking I would choose:

- standard collar (2.75")
- single button, round cut barrel cuff
- French placket (i.e. no placket)
- no pockets
- no back pleats

I think this makes for a clean, modern look that should look good for a while. I know there's a lot of opinions on SF, so maybe it just comes down to whatever I like. Still, your input is appreciated!

vezatron

Reaction score
Jantzen gets a lot of flack but I like them. If you order one shirt and it is all screwed up then you can order another and still have a good value. It just takes 4 to 8 weeks.

Modern tailor has a good introductory price and is a forum affiliate.

david123

Reaction score
I think all your features are right on -- that's more or less what I use, with the addition of back darts. I would second the recommendation of ModernTailor. Start with one of their $20 fabrics and don't use any add-ons and the first order will cost you $30 shipped. Give measurements based on an existing shirt. My other advice is don't give up if the first one is off; that happens to everyone and some trial and error is to be expected.

noremac

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. For my first shirts, I was going to use Maxwell's, since they come to my city. After that, I think I'd be more comfortable ordering online.

Any other comments on the features of the shirts that I listed? Is this reasonable? (Thanks, david123!)

Wolfador

Reaction score
I prefer mitered cuff's as it makes the shirt stand out a bit more against most RTW stuff. But it is all pretty much personal preference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics