• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Alden Cordovan Monk Strap

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
I am not a fan of the Alden monkstrap. I think the strap is too thin.

+1

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by petr
About the heat .... is there a consensus that the cordovan wears hotter on the foot?

As I am in Louisiana, should this be a valid concern?

I've worn my shell shoes in tropical climates without any problems whatsoever.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
To each his own I guess ... I value longevity in anything I buy, esp. shoes and I do not mind keeping a pair of shoes for 10+ years (or more) - infact I'd be very happy if all my shoes last me that long. I disagree with you on the point about shell looking like rubber as it ages - I think that the patina on cordovan is simply amazing. I am yet to see a well worn shell cordovan shoe that I did not like. just out of curiosity, do you own a pair of shell cordovan shoes?
You are free to disagree. Just think of the benefits attending my avoidance of cordovan, more patina for you
smile.gif
I have owned them and now no longer do.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by petr
About the heat .... is there a consensus that the cordovan wears hotter on the foot?

No consensus, but a lot of us do have that experience. I certainly do. Cool weather only for me.

zadnor

Reaction score
Agreements and disagreements. Yes on the obsession. First of all, few shoes are more beautiful than Alden's Color 8 shell cordovans. And while I get the strap width prejudice, and even those who prefer two straps (never!), the narrow strap is actually one of the things I love about this shoe. Unfortunately, you have to live with the gold buckle to get the cordovan that is so much of its appeal. If they ever offer color eight shell cordovan monk straps with a silver buckle, I will raid my 401 (k).

bahlsdheep

Reaction score
Dat necropost. But yeah, I would agree that the gold buckle does make these a bit "old manish." I'd totally go for a single or double monk with silver buckles -- especially since the nearest competitor seems to be Carmina, for significantly more $$.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads