• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions of Brooks Brothers Trousers?

x26

Reaction score
What's the SF Collective thinks about Brooks Brothers Trousers:
Mostly Bad
Mostly Good
Depends on the Pants.

I am 6' and 165 and wear a 34 waist(if it matters) and I'm looking for a very nice Business casual look. Am I looking in the right direction?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=Black

DandySF

Reaction score
I've got a couple of the Canadian made worsted wool pants. They've served me well for a few years. I've been meaning to pick up some more.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used to be all I wore to work. I felt like they wore out a little faster than they should have for the $$, but then again I did dry clean them a lot and was pretty active in them (lots of walking, etc.) on a regular basis, usually with the pockets stuffed. They really wore down around the rear pocket where I kept my keys, but I guess that's my fault.

Nice buy on sale.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are OK, but it really depends on the look you are going for. They are generally pretty full cut and conservative looking. Lots of styles have pleats, which just look too old fashioned to me. If they fit you well, and especially is you buy them on sale, they are not bad.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you should try them because you are interested. they are easy to buy, and pretty consistent from year to year in cut and sizing. if they work for you, you are set for awhile and can focus on shoes.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them. They have several models, with the Clark's being the slimmest. If your local BB doesn't have them all, just pick out your size, ask for one of their big catalogs, and mail-order the model you want. I love their corduroys and their twills (for a casual look).

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the flat front tropical wool to be my best fitting pants - the rise is perfect and seat's not a parachute like many others.

x26

Reaction score
Many thanks for the good answers!
worship.gif

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have four pairs that I purchased before I was really conscious of the cut. Even the flat front pants are quite large in the leg. I had them taken in. They appear to be quality trousers, I've had them for sometime and regularly wear them for business casual look.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dig the rustic ones -- checks, glen plaid, etc. The patterns work well with the cut. But for charcoal solids and the like, I prefer slimmer trou.

I buy the Brooks trou for $40 or less, usually, and consider them a good value at that price. Would drop $60, maybe $75 for the right pair of checks.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doc, where do you find such deals? The BB outlet? eBay?

bdbb

Reaction score
They seem ok as long as you get a good deal on them. But if you were already committed to spending $40-60 per pant or more, you could probably find something better for the money. I think the main appeal would be if you wanted to get everything at once and didn't feel like piecing a wardrobe together out of lucky deals.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mostly eBay. There are a few sellers who list 'em fairly regularly. I've found a few good deals at the outlets, but prices tend to run more toward $75-$110, which is more than I like to pay. So I have to catch 'em on sale.

The good thing about loving checks is that so few other people do.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one pair of their flannels from the main store and three pair of the flannels from the Outlet.

The mainline store pair are really comfortable, fit great, and required minimal tailoring for my body. They are pleated, but I tend to prefer that route. Currently the mainline store is selling the their flannel stock for 50% off. Granted this is more than folk like DocHoliday tends to pay. The discount, however, would allow you to go in, try on the pants, and see if they work for you without dropping an arm and a leg for them.

The flannels from the outlet are okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way for them (I think this rule applies broadly to all trou from the 346 line). The material is lighter and the drape isn't as nice. Given that I own three pair, I guess you'd wondering why I would keep buying them. I don't really have a good answer for that. One pair is in a nice flannel GP that looks great when worn with navy.

I used to own some of the wool gabardine and I don't really care for them at all. It's been a while since I've worn them, but the cut was really big and baggy on them.

I've never owned a pair or worsted wool trou from BB.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I like them. They have several models, with the Clark's being the slimmest. If your local BB doesn't have them all, just pick out your size, ask for one of their big catalogs, and mail-order the model you want. I love their corduroys and their twills (for a casual look).

I think the Milanos are a little slimmer than the Clarks. I prefer the Clarks, though, because the Milanos are very low-rise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads