• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Onvis Denim

coldforge

Reaction score
I've got a pair of these shipping over. I've already got a seam ripper waiting for the cuff tag, and I was actually thinking about darkening the coin pocket leather patch too. I'll have to see it in person, of course, but I suspect that the orange leather will be a little too gaudy for me and that I'll want it darker. Any opinions? I was thinking of just applying a bunch of neatsfoot oil, which is the cheapest/simplest way to darken leather.

Ordense

Reaction score
Pros:
Premium denim at a price that can't be beaten
Nice detailing (and the right leg selvedge tag can VERY easily removed leaving no traces behind)

Cons (really minor):
shallow narrow pockets
tight belt loops (just enough to accommodate a 1.1/2" belt)

On par with some of the top *** denims, at less than half the price

here's a 20% off voucher, valid until the end of june 2010: FTD598

With that, you get a pair of 14oz for 96euros shipped anywhere in the world

I just can't figure why these beauties have gone under the denimophiles radar for so long

chopp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ordense
Pros:
Premium denim at a price that can't be beaten
Nice detailing (and the right leg selvedge tag can VERY easily removed leaving no traces behind)

Cons (really minor):
shallow narrow pockets
tight belt loops (just enough to accommodate a 1.1/2" belt)

On par with some of the top *** denims, at less than half the price

here's a 20% off voucher, valid until the end of june 2010: FTD598

With that, you get a pair of 14oz for 96euros shipped anywhere in the world

I just can't figure why these beauties have gone under the denimophiles radar for so long

shallow pockets i found annoying at first, but ive learned to live with it. too bad even with the 20% off coupon its more expensive than when i originally bought it. mine are starting to fade and id love to buy another pair (miss the deep indigo) for a more "dressy" look. i actually get alot of complements from other raw denim wearers asking what brand they are and where i got them.

geeti

Reaction score
can anyone post up some fit/ fading photos? would be great thanks=)

Ordense

Reaction score
Chopp: yeah, i wish i bought them when onvis was selling them for 50 euros or something. Mom taught me that good things don't last long. The sub 100 euros price, shipping included, is still a big bargain though

Mine are keeping the dye quite well so far, but i just washed them once. Could you please post some pics of yours with some details about the number and mode of wash if you got time?

Geeti: i will try taking some decent pics of mine, but you can just see how they fit, as fading is still (hopefully) quite far ahead. Like Chopp, i hope they stay dark as long as possible (then i'll probably buy another pair, one size smaller than those i have, as i like my 30's very, VERY much, and maybe 29s would be even better)

asdf

Reaction score
These things are on sale on their website right now, and the coupon code is stackable.

Ordense

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, i've just bought myself two brand new pairs

Cheap as chips and as good as good denim gets

good to know the 20% coupon works on top of that!

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ordense
Thanks for the update, i've just bought myself two brand new pairs

Cheap as chips and as good as good denim gets

good to know the 20% coupon works on top of that!

Yeah to clarify i tried it with the 12oz and it didnt work, but seems to work on the 14oz

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
That cuff tag detail is marsupialed and pointless, they fail at trying to be original with that one...

Agreed. There's not even a hint that that leather coin pocket detail was derived from anything functional. Serves only as branding, which (imo) should be kept to tag and/or back pocket stitch only.

Ordense

Reaction score
I think the whole point behind their project is to set their foot on the market, as originality goes they may not be exactly on top of the list, but they make excellent jeans and that's what i'm after.

The hem patch is almost invisible and can be removed leaving no traces behind, the leather accent on the coin pocket is really small and can be darkened with a felt pen or made even smaller with some care and a sharp exacto knife.

They're not the fanciest of the bunch, but they're the best bargain out there for denim lovers.

With current promotion, coupled with the 20% discount coupon (FTD598), at 52 euros shipped WORLDWIDE, getting a pair of their 14 ounces is a "risk" some of you guys should take to see what their stuff is about.

Just have an exacto and a pair of small scissors ready if you really can't stand their attempts to be original

Personally i'd like to see them offer a zip fly model based on the same cut, maybe lined backpockets, and definitely a superheavy 18 (or more) ounces fabric

That would certainly not add anything to their originality, but if they could keep their low prices on a 18-21 ounces jeans, stuff the japs, their crazy prices and the proxy/rakuten headaches, i'd buy from them!

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm gonna have to go ahead and say denim weight =/= quality. it's the same argument as selvedge =/= necessarily == quality. personally, I really dislike heavy weight denim. The Samurai Black Knight I got are like 19oz, and they drape like crap.

Ordense

Reaction score
I would like to add that 250+ bucks for a pair of jeans do not really mean they couldn't be sold for WAY less, as the bare cost for making is infinitely lower even for very peculiar denim. Let alone that virtually all the top dogs in the niche denim market do not advertise much, if at all, their products, so that can't be the reason to justify their absurdly high prices

The guys at Onvis seem to just relinquish to a huge chunk of profit the others make, to make their name known in the scene

But without making comparisons with Japanese stuff, if i compare them with other made in Italy products like Nudies or Denim Demon, quality is much higher, price is a LOT lower

coldforge

Reaction score
I'm really happy with mine now that I've had them for a good several months. First thing I did when I got them was take out the cuff tag. I also hit the coin pocket patch with some neatsfoot oil, which was moderately successful—but what was actually much more successful was to sand it down (I think I used the sander on a swiss army knife or something). This not only took off some of the sheen, but it also made it very receptive to picking up the indigo that the denim was giving off. So now the leather has a much nicer blue/grey tinge to it. Much more subdued.

I did have them hemmed, as well.

In generally these age really nicely. When I first got them I was a little disappointed. The indigo was a really saturated blue, and both the thread colors—yellow and orange—really popped out. The whole effect was a little chintzy. I'm glad that I've stuck with them though, because all of the colors have really mellowed out over the last few months. The indigo is significantly more textured and subdued (this is without enough wear to get any real fades, mind you); and the stitching doesn't seem as day-glo anymore. And the fit is actually great—maybe the best fit of any of the raw denim that I've got (Helmut Lang, Uniqlo, Blackbird, J Crew). I'm pretty happy in general because when I got them I immediately thought, 'Well, they're well-made. I'll probably never love them.' But I think they're actually my favorite jeans right now.

I can provide fit pics a little later on if there's interest. I just wish that I had known about that discount code! Still, 79 euro or whatever, they were still a killer deal.

chopp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acularw
For anyone who has bought the raw Antioe jeans: did you size down in the waist at all or buy your normal waist size and get a TTS fit?

i ordered my "true" waist size, but ive noticed they do tend to stretch out slightly, so going by this forum's standards of slimness, id size down one to achieve max slimness? (since they do stretch out)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads