• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Online Stock Trading

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was thinking about getting into trading stocks online. i have begun to read books and am learning through my classes how to trade.

what websites or services do some of the people on the forum use? Etrade, Fidelity Investments, Charles Schwab?

I plan to begin at about 5-7 trades a month initially and after I gain some confidence probably about 10-20 trades a month.

If you guys have any books you could recommend for me to read that would be great too. Thanks.

poelow

Reaction score
I use Fidelity... 8 dollars a trade is hard to beat from one of the preeminent brokers. Kinda sucks to think though I've lost 400+ dollars in commissions alone since I started.

I thought Jim's Cramer's book Real Money was the best of his writings. I would recommend it. Also, shows like Fast Money, Mad Money, and Kudlow and Company (IMO), can give you a good picture of the sentiment of the market, or sectors and stocks to invest in.

The best teacher is experience by far though. I started trading back in November, and even though I've lost money since then, I have a much better understanding of how things work now, although my portfolio is down -3.5% since I started. Quite a baptism by fire as the market is down -12% since then.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You must read Dr Alexander Elder's 'Trading for a living' ... it is considered by many to be the traders bible

... once you have taken a bit of a hit on the markets and feel a little downtrodden read 'Market Wizards' by Jack Swagger ... good motivational book about getting back into the markets

lifersfc

Reaction score
Read Pioneering Portfolio Management by David Swenson. Few have the talent to beat the market, once you factor in slippage, spreads, and transaction fees.

Karo

Reaction score
I'm also a trading noob as well, just started a few months ago. My stocks were going swimmingly until last week when it had a big drop, now I'm a little in the red.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but this question is important. Which online site is best for getting latest financial news for US and Asian markets?

poelow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Karo
I'm also a trading noob as well, just started a few months ago. My stocks were going swimmingly until last week when it had a big drop, now I'm a little in the red.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but this question is important. Which online site is best for getting latest financial news for US and Asian markets?

I like marketwatch.com, bloomberg.com is good too. I like to look at the US futures: http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/stocks/futures.html

604guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
You must read Dr Alexander Elder's 'Trading for a living' ... it is considered by many to be the traders bible

... once you have taken a bit of a hit on the markets and feel a little downtrodden read 'Market Wizards' by Jack Swagger ... good motivational book about getting back into the markets

Agreed on Market Wizards and New Market Wizards, both very good. Good focus on the psychology of trading, which many say is the most important aspect of trading. Also many excellent interviews and tips from people that know what their doing.

mmhollis

Reaction score
Marketwatch in my opinion is the best for obtaining market news. I would also like to plug www.sharebuilder.com, especially for younger folks you can really build your portfolio this way especially if you are interested in building positions in some of the higher priced securities like google or goldman sachs. You can even make weekly investments automatically taken out of your account every tuesday.

Also remember that with almost every down turn great opportunities present themselves.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't do this. I have never seen an amateur trade successfully, and have seen many blow up their savings. Research stocks and buy them to own, or find a good mutual fund.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back when I first thought about investing, I was pretty scared to just start with stocks. I too recommend starting slowly, and with mutual funds. Good luck.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i plan to buy stocks to own them. i didnt mean to use the word trading. can the websites that people have recommended also be used to research mutual funds?

thanks for the input so far.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads