• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

online source to buy MOP buttons?

raley

Reaction score
I tried running a quick search without many favorable results. Are there any online sources to buy MOP buttons? I was thinking of changing a shirt I have with plastic buttons over to MOP and wondered what the best source to get buttons from would be.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, I posed this question on the Ask Andy forum about a week ago. My quest was for the thick MOP buttons like those on Borrelli shirts. There was only one reply, and that was from Alex Kabbaz, indicating that he sells them. Here's the link:

http://www.customshirt1.com/PearlButtons.htm

I don't know where you live, but if NYC is within easy driving distance, you could check out a store there dedicated to buttons! It's Tender Buttons. They too have the 3.2 mm. MOP buttons that Alex has, but they don't appear to be set up for online sales. Good luck!

Edit: Oops, now I see you're from Houston. So forget Tender Buttons.

PITAronin

Reaction score
If memory serves, at some point in the past Alex Kabbaz was offering both MOP shirt buttons and horn suit/sport jacket buttons. Can't locate the link to the images he'd provided but you might try contacting him at [email protected].

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great find, jmatt. It might be the case, however, that you can buy only by the gross (144 buttons). Have you followed up with them to find out more?

raley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmatt
I don't know anything about this company other than I have been doing the same fruitless search, and it's the first promising source I've found. It would be interesting to see someone place an order and report back:

http://www.hst.com.sg/acatalog/Mothe...l_Buttons.html

Hmm, definitely looks like an interesting source, but I'm not sure that I want to order 144 buttons at a time.

Thanks for the Kabbaz link, I might decide to order a few from him. I'm surprised there aren't more suppliers out there.

jmatt

Reaction score
Group buy anyone? What's a shirt take? 8 down the front and 2 on each sleeve? A gross is only enough for 12 shirts. I'd be willing to be the guinnea pig if I could get some people to divide up an order. I like the "Queen Pearl" buttons, which are pricey, but look great.

Any takers?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the "Queen of Mother of Pearl" (T2310) are lovely, aren't they. One thing to consider is the size. One good thing about the T2310s is that they're available in 16 ligne, which is 3/8" in diameter and just about perfect, in my opinion, for front shirt buttons. The 18 ligne buttons are 1/2" in diameter and, in my opinion, just a little too large. The other thing to consider is whether you want the same size on the gauntlet and cuffs as on the shirt front. I'd need to look at some shirts to know what would look best in that regard. I had also thought that I would go with thinner buttons for the very top one, on the collar, as I noticed that Borrelli did that. So to have the supply you need to do some shirts right, it might be necessary to consider several buttons.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
drop him a line, Ive swapped emails with Mr Koh at HST (and been into their store in Singapore as well), very nice guys and a professional operation.

jmatt

Reaction score
I agree on the 16L size.

Also - I e-mailed them this evening. They responded almost instantly. I followed-up, and they already responded a second time.

Does anyone want some "Queen" buttons in 16L? I'll foot the bill for a gross, and sell them in lots of 14 to the first interested people. I'd say $26 for each 14 buttons. (That's $260 for 140 buttons, gives me a cushion of 4 bad buttons, and allows about $3.10 shipping from me to each person. ZERO in it for me.)

raley

Reaction score
Hmm, seems a little rich for my blood to try it out on one shirt, although I bet the buttons are quite nice. I'll think about it for a bit though and if there are some other people who are hopping on I might decide to get involved as well.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The colored ones are where it's at.

jmatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmatt
I agree on the 16L size.

Also - I e-mailed them this evening. They responded almost instantly. I followed-up, and they already responded a second time.

Does anyone want some "Queen" buttons in 16L? I'll foot the bill for a gross, and sell them in lots of 14 to the first interested people. I'd say $26 for each 14 buttons. (That's $260 for 140 buttons, gives me a cushion of 4 bad buttons, and allows about $3.10 shipping from me to each person. ZERO in it for me.)

Anyone else want to take a $26 plunge? I've got 5 of 10 "sets" spoken for. Remember: I know nothing about these other than what we can all see on the web. I just know I don't want 144 buttons, so maybe we could split up an order.

PM me if anyone else is interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads