• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

official u.s.a. versus brazil thread

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I think we could use that buzzing sound instead of waterboarding for terrorists.

it's awful because not only do people hate it, but it's not natural. in other countries someone might show up with a drum or trumpet, maybe several musicians will show up together, but in the case of this tournament, it's the organizers who are handing out the vuvuzela to people at the gates to the stadium. it's the tackiest thing i've ever seen, especially when you consider that the sound they make doesn't even support one team over another.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The U.S. will also have Jermaine Jones for the World Cup. He would probably represent the most talent and top flight experience of anyone on the U.S. team.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
The U.S. will also have Jermaine Jones for the World Cup. He would probably represent the most talent and top flight experience of anyone on the U.S. team.

Good point. Schalke right?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ibleedwhite
Good point. Schalke right?

Yep. As long as the chemistry isn't thrown off, he should be a great addition to the side. He will bring strength and force to the midfield and is familiar with playing against top talent. With Donovan and Dempsey on the wings and Jones in the center, that's a pretty good midfield. I'm not sure who will ultimately be the other center half. I'm also pretty content with Bocanegra, Onyewu, and Cherundulo on defense, and Spector seems to be developing well. Howard is world class in goal.

Our main issue in 2010 will be up front. Altidore will likely be starting, but he doesn't quite seem there yet and really needs more playing time at the club level next season. I have no idea who should be paired with him. Davies showed flashes during this tournament, but he also made some bone-headed plays. I miss Brian McBride. He never had the talent of the top players in the world, but he got things done in international competitions and at Fulham.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Yep. As long as the chemistry isn't thrown off, he should be a great addition to the side. He will bring strength and force to the midfield and is familiar with playing against top talent. With Donovan and Dempsey on the wings and Jones in the center, that's a pretty good midfield. I'm not sure who will ultimately be the other center half. I'm also pretty content with Bocanegra, Onyewu, and Cherundulo on defense, and Spector seems to be developing well. Howard is world class in goal.

Our main issue in 2010 will be up front. Altidore will likely be starting, but he doesn't quite seem there yet and really needs more playing time at the club level next season. I have no idea who should be paired with him. Davies showed flashes during this tournament, but he also made some bone-headed plays. I miss Brian McBride. He never had the talent of the top players in the world, but he got things done in international competitions and at Fulham.

Yeah we need a forward that can hold the ball.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, we had one hell of a first half. I'm really proud of how we did. We just couldn't handle Brazil's second half attack.

As at least one other has said, subs could have been better. Earlier for starters, and definitely different players. Why Klejsten (sp?)? Torres and Adu both are much better.

I'm looking forward to seeing Jones join the squad. That said, I'm confused by the comment that he'll bring more top flight experience than we have now. Howard, Dempsey, Spector and others have been playing in the Premier league for years. They are just three examples.

Now, the coach. I still think he needs to be replaced. We need someone who can take us up another notch. And one with better tactical skills (see above about subs).

Another thing I'm looking forward to is the second looks some of our players will get from their current clubs and other clubs. Maybe Jozy will get some playing time. If Gooch hadn't already signed with Fenerbache he might be getting other real offers. Hell, Donavon might even see some real offers.

b

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I'm looking forward to seeing Jones join the squad. That said, I'm confused by the comment that he'll bring more top flight experience than we have now. Howard, Dempsey, Spector and others have been playing in the Premier league for years. They are just three examples.

I realize we have plenty of guys with international chops. I just meant that the addition of Jones brings a player who has not only had numerous years of experience in a top league, but also someone who is considered a standout player in a top league.

Dempsey's only had about two years in the Premiership. Spector a few more. Cherundulo has also had a lot of experience in the Budesliga. Several of the other guys have bumped around a few clubs in Europe. None of them are really standout players, though.

With the exception of Howard, Jones would be the only player on the U.S. team who you'd really consider a star quality player in a big league, though. I think that will make a big difference.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the exception of Howard, Jones would be the only player on the U.S. team who you'd really consider a star quality player in a big league, though. I think that will make a big difference.

Gotcha. I'm not actually familiar with the guy at all. Whatever we can do to shore up our mid-field's ability to hold the ball and create attacks I'm all for.

b

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Donavon might even see some real offers.

Donavon does get real offers, but he just gets real homesick. I don't think you could even get him to move outside CA in MLS.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize we have plenty of guys with international chops. I just meant that the addition of Jones brings a player who has not only had numerous years of experience in a top league, but also someone who is considered a standout player in a top league.

Dempsey's only had about two years in the Premiership. Spector a few more. Cherundulo has also had a lot of experience in the Budesliga. Several of the other guys have bumped around a few clubs in Europe. None of them are really standout players, though.

from the little i know about jones, he seems to be a lot more german than american. i question whether he would choose to play for the u.s. if he had a good chance at being a regular on the german national team. 3 appearances for germany in friendly matches doesn't really make him a star.

edgar castillo is looking to play for the u.s. as well. he had originally committed to playing for mexico, but now that it's clear he's not good enough for a place on the team, he's saying he wants to play for the u.s., and since he only appeared for mexico in friendlies, he's eligible to switch sides, like jermaine jones.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Donavon does get real offers, but he just gets real homesick. I don't think you could even get him to move outside CA in MLS.

Let me rephrase: maybe he'll get real offers that he has realized are good offers. Spain, for instance, has been put forward as a good place since he's fluent in Spanish. Plus I suppose it's sunny like SoCal.

A bigger question is what sort of offer will MLS have to receive in order to let him go?

b

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me rephrase: maybe he'll get real offers that he has realized are good offers. Spain, for instance, has been put forward as a good place since he's fluent in Spanish. Plus I suppose it's sunny like SoCal.

A bigger question is what sort of offer will MLS have to receive in order to let him go?

b

donovan likely has an inflated price due to marketing in the u.s. the teams in spain who would want him are the same teams who can't afford him. i'm sure bayern munich would have taken him if the price had been right.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
donovan likely has an inflated price due to marketing in the u.s. the teams in spain who would want him are the same teams who can't afford him. i'm sure bayern munich would have taken him if the price had been right.

And in my continuing dinsdain of LD, I wonder if part of the issue wasn't his having to fight his ass off for playing time that made it a non-starter deal.

b

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads