• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO, Episodes 7 and 8 weren't great films because they failed to dramatize the characters. Dramatization is more important than character arc in a film, at least for me. Think about how little you gave a **** when KR Oedipused Han. It had almost zero emotional impact because they didn't do a single goddamn thing to show us why we should care, other than tell us they are father/son.

If you look at a movie like Lion you can see a great example of dramatizing the character, they literally do it the entire ******* movie, and the incredible payoff. It's why that movie is so damn good and hits like a ton of bricks.

Of course this is easier said than done.

Man that had tremendous emotional impact for me, got awfully dusty in that theatre

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The issue with that argument is only one of the characters who survived the OT was a Jedi. What about Han, Leia and Lando?

I dunno, I figure Han and Lando could still plausibly fly and shoot things with their laser guns if needed, and we already saw Carrie Fisher fly through space. I guess action would be a prerequisite for Star Wars films, but on the other hand, there’s plenty of genre stuff (like gangster movies) that do well with an older cast. I just wouldn’t mind the series maturing a bit in order to foreground the original cast.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Lando could be a chancellor or some politician in secondary role, but I guess they didn't want to make any room for politics. Also why would you kill Admiral Ackbar offscreen? Having Ackbar die would have an impact on people more than Holdo as most people were either happy or didn't care when she died.(Notice I wish there was original man of color and fish of color in the movies- not only more of original white man Luke).

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well since he is black maybe he won't die like a bum, maybe they will only neuter him:spew:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cast list announced. Bill Dee Williams is back as will be Carrie Fisher via unused footage from the prior movies.

Mark's back too. Can't wait to see Force Ghost Luke give Kylo **** on screen. :slayer:

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-announced

No announced? Captain Phasma. I was hoping she would be the Kenny of the trilogy and get dispatched each movie.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No announced? Captain Phasma. I was hoping she would be the Kenny of the trilogy and get dispatched each movie.

They never announce the full list in advance. My son thinks Phasma might still be back and I think he might be right.

brokencycle

Reaction score
They never announce the full list in advance. My son thinks Phasma might still be back and I think he might be right.

I hope not. She is probably my least favorite character. It just cuts against the grain of what Storm troopers are in my opinion.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hope not. She is probably my least favorite character. It just cuts against the grain of what Storm troopers are in my opinion.

????

Storm troopers are cannon fodder. What better way to honor that then have elite version of them get dispatched in each film? It’s perfect.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mouse, be honest - was that edit to change the 'than' to a 'then', for sake of consistency?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cute.

brokencycle

Reaction score
????

Storm troopers are cannon fodder. What better way to honor that then have elite version of them get dispatched in each film? It’s perfect.

It just doesn't feel in line with what Storm troopers are. All the sudden we have metallic Storm troopers and are decidedly unique? Come on.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It just doesn't feel in line with what Storm troopers are. All the sudden we have metallic Storm troopers and are decidedly unique? Come on.

I mean sure. It's not in line with classic storm trooper from the OT.

Yet Phasma is a great expansion and upgrade in terms of concept of what a storm trooper can be for the new trilogy. She feels like a natural expansion of the old into the new.

I mean the Extended Universe before the reboot had far crazier Storm troopers running around. If Phasma bothered you that much, I would hate to see how you reacted to the EU.

My issue with her is the fact that she feels like a force fed Boba Fett replacement. Not the fact she's an advanced Storn Trooper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads