• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oh, sure. I get that. I just have to question whether that was a reasonable tradeoff. He obviously knew of the existence of the Death Star and had disappeared for at least a while in an effort to avoid helping. Why not just have an escape/contingency plan in place so that when Krennic came calling he just machine-gunned him and his men and then peaced out with his family? Why walk out unarmed, or even walk out at all? Why not just turn off the lights, hop on a spaceship, and lightspeed out of town?

I recognize that, of course, this would sort of blow the movie and the subsequent storylines. :D

He wanted revenge against the Empire and knew that they had to be defeated for the sake of the galaxy. Running away to a small planet in the middle of nowhere wouldn't have achieved those goals.

Plus as you acknowledge it served the overall story arch and made for a good film. :D

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jar Jar.

In the prequels I'm willing g to believe the theory that he's actually a sith expert plant. He's too obviously stupid and then there's all the background elements of his character to support that.

But in Clone Wars he's just dumb. So I don't know what to believe.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He wanted revenge against the Empire and knew that they had to be defeated for the sake of the galaxy. Running away to a small planet in the middle of nowhere wouldn't have achieved those goals.

Plus as you acknowledge it served the overall story arch and made for a good film. :D

Then why actually complete the research/work and get the Death Star working? Why not just build in a secret defect that would result in the whole thing exploding the first time they tried to use it at full power?

Anyway: this is fun to quibble over but ultimately sort of silly. :foo:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Then why actually complete the research/work and get the Death Star working? Why not just build in a secret defect that would result in the whole thing exploding the first time they tried to use it at full power?

Anyway: this is fun to quibble over but ultimately sort of silly. :foo:

I think Galen's hologram monologue explained that the only way to do it to avoid detection was to make it that small etc. Also R1 was really only about moving from plot point to plot point so there's that consideration, too

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think Galen's hologram monologue explained that the only way to do it to avoid detection was to make it that small etc. Also R1 was really only about moving from plot point to plot point so there's that consideration, too

Well, isn't that convenient.

:rotflmao:

brokencycle

Reaction score
Jar Jar.

In the prequels I'm willing g to believe the theory that he's actually a sith expert plant. He's too obviously stupid and then there's all the background elements of his character to support that.

But in Clone Wars he's just dumb. So I don't know what to believe.

The theory is that it was abandoned because of the reaction to episode 1.

Graemsay

Reaction score
Palpatine didn't know that Jar Jar was a Sith...
biggrin.gif

0.jpg

That said, there was a scene shot for Revenge of the Sith that sounds really interesting. It doesn't support the Darth Binks theory, but shows how Jar Jar was manipulated and corrupted. From Entertainment Weekly:

"In Revenge of the Sith, there was a scene that was cut where I'm walking down a long pathway with Ian McDiarmid before he is turned into the Emperor," Best explains. "And Palpatine kind of thanks Jar Jar for putting him in power. It's a really interesting scene, and it shows the evolution of Jar Jar from this fun-loving kid's character into this manipulated politician. And it was an interesting arc for the character that I thought could have been explored, because the scene is really dark. But it just didn't fit in the movie, which I understand. But yeah, George's take on it is Jar Jar is now just a politician."

An alternative take is given by Ian Doescher in his Shakespearian riff The Phantom of Menace, in which Jar Jar plays the fool, whilst working to bring about peace between the humans and Gungans on Naboo. See:

The Radicalization of Jar Jar Binks

In 'William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace,' Jar Jar Binks Plays the Fool

I haven't read the play, but it's an interesting take on the character. Unfortunately a revisionist film about Jar Jar is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

An alternative take is given by Ian Doescher in his Shakespearian riff The Phantom of Menace, in which Jar Jar plays the fool, whilst working to bring about peace between the humans and Gungans on Naboo. See:

The Radicalization of Jar Jar Binks

In 'William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace,' Jar Jar Binks Plays the Fool

I haven't read the play, but it's an interesting take on the character. Unfortunately a revisionist film about Jar Jar is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

This set of comics is the only revisionist piece I need to explain jar jar. Makes more sense if you have ever played a tabletop RPG (D&D, etc.)

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting title. It's got a darker feel to it, which may indicate the direction the story will go. Also could refer to just Luke or Luke and Ray as the Jedi.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics