• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gavin

Reaction score

Sydney's weekly email newsletter is going out tomorrow and will include a coupon code for an additional 15% off of all sale items, but we're inviting SF members to take advantage of the promotion first.
Use coupon code "add15" at checkout.

Just a last minute reminder about this. Our email is on its way out now, so if you want to grab something before it does...now's your chance!

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not uncomfortable, but I find it funny, and it does show a lack of imagination. I'm not advocating that everyone dress crazy, though you should do that if it fits you, but getting everything from one brand, even one store (unless you are the owner) seems tremendously boring. It seems somehow less boring if you really don't care about how you look (see, my father) but much less so if the person cares about how they look, as the J. Crew mannequins obviously do. At current J. Crew prices, it's not even possible to say that they do this for financial reasons.

I see what you're saying to a certain extent. However, certain people have a loyalty to a single store and the type of style they maintain, and I don't really think that's so weird. I love Gitman shirts for example, and could easily see my entire wardrobe of casual shirts being from them, because they also have lots of designs, which I'm sure J.Crew does also. But yeah, I wouldn't buy every single thing Gitman makes.

With respect to prices, I think J. Crew is expensive too, but lots of their stuff make it to sale, even the extra 30% sale, because of high initial prices. So they're not necessarily spending a fortune.

But I appreciate your opinion. It doesn't come across as snotty as the other guy.

Raindrop

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I completely agree but, for the sake of discussion, let's not overlook that there are a number of people who do just that here and are often praised for it. Brand synergy, etc... Socal would very often dress one designer head-to-toe, kunk would go all RO regularly, a couple of guys go all YY on a regular basis, not to mention the Epaulet fanboys out there. May look good (sometimes great) but doesn't particularly show much imagination to buy runway looks as a kit or simply to buy into a single designer-defined (or shop owner defined) point of view wholesale.

You should just find what fits your vibe..

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wearing a head-to-toe runway look is more douchey, in my opinion. all jcrew is boring, but nothing is worse than those super serious looking guys who are obviously really impressed with themselves. :facepalm:

I don't think the Yohji fans (at least on here) fit into that category though. It's all stuff from one designer, but a lot of their stuff is generally from seasons that are several years apart and has been accumulated over a long period. they can still find interesting ways of putting things together, and even though guys like ivwri and asobu are both in all yohji, you can see that they both still have individual styles.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not uncomfortable, but I find it funny, and it does show a lack of imagination. I'm not advocating that everyone dress crazy, though you should do that if it fits you, but getting everything from one brand, even one store (unless you are the owner) seems tremendously boring. It seems somehow less boring if you really don't care about how you look (see, my father) but much less so if the person cares about how they look, as the J. Crew mannequins obviously do. At current J. Crew prices, it's not even possible to say that they do this for financial reasons.

I think it has a lot do with people who want to be told what to wear. They hear that J Crew is trendy, and so they take the advice given to them. I look at J Crew as the new Banana Republic - if you lived in California in the aughts - especially in San Francisco - you would see every young professional dressed head to toe in BR office wear (usually black). To me, it seems a sign of people who don't know much about clothing and have not developed their own style, and so are happy to take the safe route at the go-to store of the moment.

Not everyone knows (or thinks they know) as much about style as people on this forum. And even if they do, of course people disagree.

I didn't find the original post on this topic offensive at all. Of course we notice people wearing what we consider to be ridiculous outfits. Of course we make fun of them. He didn't call that person out by name or post a picture or anything. Just used it as an example of this way of thinking.

And having said all that, J Crew has been hugely successful at spoonfeeding clothing tips to the masses - a lot of which I think is ridiculous (their suiting advice, for example). But I also own a few J Crew items, too.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that I ever wear all-one-line (maybe sometimes EG), but I think it's OK to do so. When a designer/line has a concept and access to a ton of fabrics and fabrication resources, why do I think I'm inherently "better" at putting things together to dress myself?

Sort of trolling but not really

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it has a lot do with people who want to be told what to wear. They hear that J Crew is trendy, and so they take the advice given to them. I look at J Crew as the new Banana Republic - if you lived in California in the aughts - especially in San Francisco - you would see every young professional dressed head to toe in BR office wear (usually black). To me, it seems a sign of people who don't know much about clothing and have not developed their own style, and so are happy to take the safe route at the go-to store of the moment.
Not everyone knows (or thinks they know) as much about style as people on this forum. And even if they do, of course people disagree.
I didn't find the original post on this topic offensive at all. Of course we notice people wearing what we consider to be ridiculous outfits. Of course we make fun of them. He didn't call that person out by name or post a picture or anything. Just used it as an example of this way of thinking.
And having said all that, J Crew has been hugely successful at spoonfeeding clothing tips to the masses - a lot of which I think is ridiculous (their suiting advice, for example). But I also own a few J Crew items, too.

Good points. I think it's better to be uninterested or oblivious and wearing all Jcrew than to be "educated" and into fashion while looking like a complete moron while trying really hard

jdimitri

Reaction score

NATIONWIDE!!!!!
How come it is so weirdly, uncomfortably obvious when someone shops only at JCrew? I saw a lady the other day who looked like peach-tini vomit. What the ****, pastels or bust? It's the same thing with dudes: "slim fit" striped button down, untucked, medium-wash "slim straight" selvage jeans WITH UPTURNED CUFF, desert boots, timex. natch. The new pink polo.

You been to Tokyo? A lot of folks dress up in Uniqlo or at least Uniqlo-esque stuff.
I really like it, people are "well dressed" by anyone's standard.

Don't be a snob, they clearly like it!

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not that I ever wear all-one-line (maybe sometimes EG), but I think it's OK to do so. When a designer/line has a concept and access to a ton of fabrics and fabrication resources, why do I think I'm inherently "better" at putting things together to dress myself?
Sort of trolling but not really

Yeah reading this again mostly trolling. But I'm saying, if I trust a designer/clothing line and I like their coherent vision, I don't think it's cheap to subscribe to it totally, although it feels sort of easy.

Sales alert: Tres Bien s/s sale starts July 3 at 7am CET (1am EST). 10pm July 2 pacific? I dunno.

Stillmaticbeat

Reaction score

Yeah reading this again mostly trolling. But I'm saying, if I trust a designer/clothing line and I like their coherent vision, I don't think it's cheap to subscribe to it totally, although it feels sort of easy.
Sales alert: Tres Bien s/s sale starts July 3 at 7am CET (1am EST). 10pm July 2 pacific? I dunno.

anything worth buying?

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stop talking about J.Crew, go to ln-cc and buy some **** AT 70% OFF!!!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads