• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I mean, whatever their intentions, that's pretty much textbook -- dangle a low, but illusory, price, get buyers to commit to that, then it's easier to sell them on a higher price they would have otherwise rejected -- all while insisting its a great deal, of course. The person who e-mailed me even mentioned the proverbial talk with the boss in the back room. I mean, what's next, are they having a sales contest this month? Are they also just one Half-Price Herning away from winning a mountain vacation? :p

I'm sure it was just a mistake, but I would have preferred them just to say sorry and here's your dough back. Otherwise, they're saying the price is both absolute and negotiable, and they are haggling when their buyers have already paid.

Dude, you are looking at it the wrong way. They are not making you pay the $300. They are giving you the first right of refusal. Believe it or not, some people would find $300 for that jacket to be a pretty good deal. Right now, they are holding onto that jacket for you, and losing out on it's potential sale to someone else.

If I saw that jacket at $180, I'd jump on it too (had I not already committed an entire month's budget to a MTO Aero Fontana racer). At $300, I might be a little more circumspect, but if it was something that I really wanted, I'd rather have it at 75% off, which hardly a rip off (it's just above cost, and well below wholesale), than to have it get sold to someone else. Just another perspective on your "problem".

juven

Reaction score
Just noticed some pretty significant drops at The Corner, with the code TC13 I managed to get some Mr. Hare Che's for $140.

Also, sorry to hear that went down noob, I got two SNS off the get go and haven't gotten the bate and switch yet. Still waiting.

Last edited:

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope someone from Mohawk is reading this thread and decides to tack on a $500 Whiny Asshole Tax.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think the complaint was with them not honoring the price, but how they chose to present an alternative solution.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah , that's it. I didn't mean to make a big deal about it, I just enjoy splitting hairs on SF, and getting use the :fu: face.

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This.

It's much better to be frank about your disappointment, but suggest feasible alternatives. It's pretty clear that you are not going to get your jacket for $180. Maybe your fallback position is to get a coupon on something in season, in addition to the jacket for $300. The margins for in season goods are much higher, and you are more likely to get leeway. And never demand it, even if you feel entitled to it. Phrase it as asking for a favor. Here is an example:

"I really wanted those boots, and $180 sounded like a great deal. I guess that it was too good to be true. Unfortunately, $300, even though a very good price, is outside the pricerange for me right now. Had I known that there was an error in the pricing beforehand, I would have bought something else, such as the SNS Herning sweaters that were on sale for $120. Do you have any of those left? Would it be possible to get a coupon (maybe 25%) towards a future order? Thanks for understanding my situation. Yours, noob."

That sort of conciliatory attitude will get you a lot further. Attacking people invariably gets them on the defensive, and you'll probably not get anywhere.

amen...people that attempt to get what they want via force/strength baffle me.

ASK them to give you what you want, even better if you give them an option or two--you'd be surprised how much better the result will be when asking versus demanding, using an otherwise identically worded missive.

kloss

Reaction score
Does anyone know of current or upcoming sales (annual or otherwise) where I can get a decent dress shirt and slacks for a good price? It will be for a business casual job interview.

who8mahrice

Reaction score
I had a really good experience with Mohawk over yesterday and today. Fairly long read, so TLDR: Mohawk honored their error sale prices for me after spending a bunch of time searching the store for the items I wanted.

I was a little late to see the sweaters online as most sold out except for the purple. But when I tried to check out, it said that there was only one left, so I had to reduce my cart quantity by one (even though I only had one). It ran a loop and eventually just couldn't check out. So I called in store to see if they had it in stock as well as the EG fair isle tie. I called the general store who transferred me downstairs, who then told me I had to call the men's store. That was the only "bad" part of my experience. The lady who picked up in the men's store took my name as she was currently busy helping another customer. The guy who called me back searched high and low through the store looking for the sweater and ties for me. He took my name to give to their web store manager to email me regarding the purchases as there was some discrepancy over sale prices being online only but EG was phone order only. I didn't get the email yesterday, so I called in about 15 minutes ago asking if there was a problem with my email or anything. 10 minutes later, I get an email from them apologizing for the delay because of the technical errors on the sale pricing causing tons of orders recently. She agreed to honor the sale price on the SNS Herning for $36 and EG tie for $22. I just replied back with my Paypal and shipping address and hoping to get an invoice soon.

Last edited:

xander_horst

Reaction score
^ I had a similar experience. Web Store Manager was exceedingly polite and helpful given that their store was losing $ left and right over these online errors.

jmaudi0

Reaction score
I didn't have any issues with that Mohawk sale yesterday. I picked up the triple blue v-neck version SNS sweater and paid via paypal at the $36 + shipping price and apparently it shipped out last night. :)

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BACKINSTYLE13 for 15% off Fall/Winter at the corner
YOOXLEVEL13 for 5/10/15% off 1/2/3 items from Fall/Winter

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads