• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anyone have a new or minimally used sage thornproof hood they're willing to sell?

I have the so called cotton hood. New without tags. I will return it to CA for a refund so I guess you're not interested in paying retail (29 gbp) plus shipping for it...

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Is it necessary to keep the corduroy collar from getting wet when it rains? I'm concerned the rain will ruin its soft texture over time. Thanks!

Last edited:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Its a Barbour jacket. It should get wet when it rains. All of it. That's what it's designed for.

MSAINT

Reaction score

Not only that but the corduroy has been "engineered" to repel the water away from you, just look at how it's been built in the collar, also corduroy is a sturdy rustic material used as field clothing, probably why it's steel used on one of the only three jackets Barbour still produces in England.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the so called cotton hood. New without tags. I will return it to CA for a refund so I guess you're not interested in paying retail (29 gbp) plus shipping for it...

Yeah, it would end up costing me more. :D

Thanks for the response though!

For a while I was on the fence between the sage (thornproof) vs. olive (Sylkoil). Eventually I went with the sage. I was ambivalent at first but as I wear it more the color has warmed up to me!

I also think there are more selections in olive so maybe another jacket will be in the pipeline!

BL70

Reaction score
I realize there is a good amount of discussion online regarding which Barbours are still made in the UK vs other European countries. But just to add to the confusion, I was looking at Ashbys in Bloomingdales and they were clearly labeled Made in England. A few days later I ordered one from their website and received one labeled 'Made in Moldova.' I feel a little silly, but plan on bringing this to the store to exchange for one of the made in UK if they are still in stock.

BL70

Reaction score
Just to follow up on above post, the store had a mix of ashbys made in England or Moldova. Of course the size, color I wanted was only Moldova. But after comparing side by side with MIE I couldn't find any differences in quality (fabric, collar, hardware) so will be fine keeping the jacket.

groundkontrol

Reaction score
Ashby vs. Bedale-- is the Bedale any thicker? I just got the Ashby and it's surprisingly thinner than I expected. Is there Bedale any heavier or the same weight/thickness? I'm trying to figure out the difference between the two beside the sleeve lining (corduroy in Ashby, thicker collar (bedale), and thinner profile (ashby).

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ashby vs. Bedale-- is the Bedale any thicker? I just got the Ashby and it's surprisingly thinner than I expected. Is there Bedale any heavier or the same weight/thickness? I'm trying to figure out the difference between the two beside the sleeve lining (corduroy in Ashby, thicker collar (bedale), and thinner profile (ashby).

I too was trying to decide from the two. In addition to the differences you mentioned, I believe the sleeve proportion of the Ashby is longer.

-Bedale 34 and Ashby S fits somewhat similarly in the body but the sleeves of the Ashby are definitely longer.
-Ashby is also a hair longer than the beadle
-The flap buttons on the Ashby are hidden while the Bedale is exposed

I think the Sylkoil shell is pretty much the same. The Bedale I decided on has the thornproof, makes it feel heavier and sturdier. Maybe that's the difference you noticed?

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The outer shell is the same weight, 6 oz waxed cotton. The body lining is also the same, 100% cotton tartan. However, the Ashby has synthetic lining in the sleeves which I guess is thinner than the regular cotton lining. It also makes the sleeves more prone to creasing, like a leather jacket, which I personally rather like.

Anyway, the Bedale and Ashby should be about the same in materials used.

coffeequeen

Reaction score

Apparently this is a ladies trench coat. Does anyone know (1) the name of this model, or whether (2) Barbour ever made something similar in its mens line?

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Barbour weather. Best time of the year. (Beaufort)

Reaction score
Another stick on on the fire: I bought a Barbour Ashby from Bloomingdales this past summer (50% off yeah!!!!) and it's marked as made in England. I guess you just have to get lucky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads