• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Managed to grasp my self a bargin off eBay the other day. A classic Northumbria and was delivered today.

The coats in very good condition with only one mark on the back. But it’s an animal of a jacket! I’m 6ft and comes down to mid thigh, very think and warm! Going to be perfect for an very wet/windy/cold days

Yes!! Northumbria is the best! I told you, its a completely different league. Don't just tell us, show us.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Done. The only thing I don’t like about Sylkoil is that it remains “fuzzy”
View attachment 1044962

Can I ask if you can use any of the Barbour waxes on the sylkoil? I have an old tin somewhere and it isn't the sylkoil specific one.

When you say "fuzzy" do you mean how it picks up lint so easily? My navy Ashby certainly does!

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I ask if you can use any of the Barbour waxes on the sylkoil? I have an old tin somewhere and it isn't the sylkoil specific one.

When you say "fuzzy" do you mean how it picks up lint so easily? My navy Ashby certainly does!

Yep, the thornproof wax is good on Sylkoil. You're correct! it picks up lint, fluff and dust easier than thornproof wax. It also has that 'suede' looking texture, if you look at my post on the previous page regarding rewaxing my Beaufort you can see the bottom half of said jacket is different in tone. It grinds on me to no end, but I can live with it.

Have to agree. The Northumbria is amazing!

Northumbria love!

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Northumbria only comes in olive? Wanted the sage color for next Barbour.

No sir, thats the new 'Classic' series that comes in olive. The company stopped doing Sage Northumbrias a number of years back so scour eBay for one.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, the thornproof wax is good on Sylkoil. You're correct! it picks up lint, fluff and dust easier than thornproof wax. It also has that 'suede' looking texture, if you look at my post on the previous page regarding rewaxing my Beaufort you can see the bottom half of said jacket is different in tone. It grinds on me to no end, but I can live with it.

Northumbria love!

I can't remember which wax I had, I will have to check tonight.

I think I used an old sponge last time I rewaxed a jacket, not sure it was ideal.

The lint attraction is quite irritating, sometimes wish I had got a Bedale rather than Ashby although I think the Ashby probably fits better.

Oh and the Northumbria looks great! Will have to look out for one in future

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't remember which wax I had, I will have to check tonight.

I think I used an old sponge last time I rewaxed a jacket, not sure it was ideal.

The lint attraction is quite irritating, sometimes wish I had got a Bedale rather than Ashby although I think the Ashby probably fits better.

Oh and the Northumbria looks great! Will have to look out for one in future

Are you UK based? I can re-wax it for you if you like.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you UK based? I can re-wax it for you if you like.

I am. The jacket doesn't really need rewaxing just yet but I will bear that in mind when it does.

I was just interested in what could be used with the sylkoil really.

Thanks!

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am. The jacket doesn't really need rewaxing just yet but I will bear that in mind when it does.

I was just interested in what could be used with the sylkoil really.

Thanks!

Offer stands for whenever you need it done, Squier.

EdoubleD

Reaction score
Yes!! Northumbria is the best! I told you, its a completely different league. Don't just tell us, show us.

I’ll try and get some photos later, it’s is the classic so in olive colour, going by the labels and coat it’s not very old st all! And I’m very good conditions :) bargin st £25 via eBay

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll try and get some photos later, it’s is the classic so in olive colour, going by the labels and coat it’s not very old st all! And I’m very good conditions :) bargin st £25 via eBay

Can't go wrong with that one bit.

Pelikan2

Reaction score
C6CF6DA4-49E8-4675-B94E-D914090193A7.jpeg
Hoping to get opinions on the fit of this Ashby - particularly the sleeve length. The sleeves are obviously a little short, but I’m wondering how folks feel about a little dress sleeve cuff popping out of the Barbour sleeves. The dress shirt is definitely the longest sleeved shirt I ever wear.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1047243 Hoping to get opinions on the fit of this Ashby - particularly the sleeve length. The sleeves are obviously a little short, but I’m wondering how folks feel about a little dress sleeve cuff popping out of the Barbour sleeves. The dress shirt is definitely the longest sleeved shirt I ever wear.
I think its fine. Here's my Ashby and the sleeves poke out like yours.

F7AF36C2-E339-41B4-9A80-FAA85CEBA8A0.jpeg

monkk

Reaction score
So guys, how do you deal with Ashby synthetic sleeve lining? Sometimes it gets really wet in there At least in mine.
Was thinking of replacing sleeve lining, but not sure what would be the effort and if worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads