• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wonder if someone could help me identify a jacket I saw a chap wearing last week - it was a plain, short jacket (Bedale sort of length), but had two zips at the back for a poachers pocket?

I should've just asked him what model it was, but I didn't. Any ideas?

Might be what's now called the Commander or Sport jacket (it's the non-tokito version of the jacket from Skyfall).

smartlew

Reaction score
Had ring zippers on the back pocket, and I'm sure it was a zip front too - thanks for your suggestion though!

AdRock

Reaction score
Too short for my taste.

I tried it on in-store and boy am I glad I waited to see it in person vs. ordering it online.

The collar I am indifferent about, the real shame for this jacket is the cut on the body. It has a sort 'bell' shape in that is slowly flares out towards the bottom of the jacket. It is not a 'straight' cut at all. It really gives the jacket a weird drape as the material is it made out of is fairly rigid so you end up wearing something that somehow resembles a dress.

To top it off the inside of the jacket material has a fine velvet-like feel to it which is nice initially but makes it really difficult to take the jacket off. The material grips the fabric on your shirt and it is like pulling Velcro off almost.

Really disappointed in this jacket overall, very happy I waited to actually try it on in-store.

Ended up going with a Navy Tailored Sapper (m65) jacket from Barbour instead. Not quite the same functionality but related as it is still a Barbour. I will provide an update on the fit etc. once I receive it (they had to order it from another store).

styleforumfan

Reaction score
What do you think about this factory distressed Barbour jacket? Does the distressing look cool or it looks like you just stole it from a homeless?

Last edited:

smartie-pants

Reaction score
Ashby Vs Bedale

How different are the two and are the differences noticeable?

I searched the archives and found a string of posts, but aside from the Ashby being slimmer, there was not much else to be found.

Thoughts?

versusqc

Reaction score
Bedale is made in the UK whereas Ashby is not (I think mine is made in Vietnam). Corduroy collar has lower wale count on the Bedale, softer as well. Finishing (stitching, lining) looked slightly superior on the Bedale, although it's nothing to write home about. Still, I'd recommend you try both: I was considering both models and ended up with the Ashby for the fit.

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tried it on in-store and boy am I glad I waited to see it in person vs. ordering it online.

The collar I am indifferent about, the real shame for this jacket is the cut on the body. It has a sort 'bell' shape in that is slowly flares out towards the bottom of the jacket. It is not a 'straight' cut at all. It really gives the jacket a weird drape as the material is it made out of is fairly rigid so you end up wearing something that somehow resembles a dress.

To top it off the inside of the jacket material has a fine velvet-like feel to it which is nice initially but makes it really difficult to take the jacket off. The material grips the fabric on your shirt and it is like pulling Velcro off almost.

Really disappointed in this jacket overall, very happy I waited to actually try it on in-store.

Ended up going with a Navy Tailored Sapper (m65) jacket from Barbour instead. Not quite the same functionality but related as it is still a Barbour. I will provide an update on the fit etc. once I receive it (they had to order it from another store).
I think I saw a tailored sapper at Club Monaco. Looks like a nice jacket. If I didn't already have a similar one from Filson I would have considered it.

adebisi

Reaction score
Barbour x Land Rover aw15 is released !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads