• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Odd Resume Question

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I currently work for a husband and wife that own a retail shop. They're opening a wine bar, and when it opens, I'll spend 4 days a week at the shop and 2 days a week at the bar.

Same owners, same name, except one is [NAME] Wine Shop and one is [NAME] Wine Bar.

On my resume, should I list them as one company, and make a distinction between the two by two separate bullet lists, like so:

[NAME] Wine Shop and Wine Bar Dec 1991- August 2030
Wine Shop
  • -Drink wine
  • -Speak about wine in a pretentious way
  • -Sell wine sometimes
Wine Bar
  • -Drink wine
  • -Eat food
  • -Sell wine sometimes

Or should I split it into two separate categories on my resume, like this:

[NAME] Wine Shop Dec 1991- August 2030
  • -Drink wine
  • -Speak about wine in a pretentious way
  • -Sell wine sometimes

[NAME] Wine Bar February 2012-August 2030
  • -Drink wine
  • -Eat food
  • -Sell wine sometimes

Or some other way I haven't thought of?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would try and create some combo of the two, making the second job look like an offshoot and vertical move from the first, while still maintaining job #1. like becoming CEO of a smaller entity while you still sit on the board of the parent company.

but if you plan on holding down the job till 2030 i wouldnt worry too much about it now

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I did the former back when I had 2-3 jobs (well not really jobs in the traditional sense) at my university. This may have been the way we were instructed, but frankly I don't remember. It worked out without issue.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just combine the two and fill the rest of the resume with your other work history and experience. I'd add places I stayed longer in.

gtg732w

Reaction score
I would say if it's two different jobs, with different roles & responsibilities, different goals, and hopefully a growth opportunity for you, I'd list them as two separate experiences.

In Stitches makes a good point though: if you're going to be interviewing, go ahead and make that connection for the interviewer (I began at wine shop, eventually outgrew the role, and my performance was so stellar the owners asked me to take a lead/senior/executive role with the opening of their new store).

It helps walk them through how the resume is structured and focus on what really counts, your performance and experience levels.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Since when does a busboy need a resume?

wink.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
a) Personally, I'd list them together as you did at first.

b) I don't think it really matters anyways.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I'd combine them into something like

[NAME] Wine Group
- shop stuff
later promoted into a dual role within the group which saw me additionally responsible for:
- bar stuff

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
I'd combine them into something like

[NAME] Wine Group
- shop stuff
later promoted into a dual role within the group which saw me additionally responsible for:
- bar stuff

basically, this - I'd put down dual responsibilities in the same organization.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads