• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oak Street Bootmakers Trench Boot Dilemma (Advice needed)

Ponyboy312

Reaction score
I'm bout to pull the trigger and get a pair for my everyday, every (non-suit) situation. It'll be my only shoes. Bear in mind, I'm poor, so I cant afford to get a boot that is in style this year and will be out next year (i.e. trendy)

Need some input/help picking a pair because I have NO style. So I'm between the Natural Trench Boot with Captoe, Natural Trench Boot with Captoe and Vibram Sole, and the Black Trench Boot (exclusive to Context).

Here's links of each one. Your fashionable insights are truly appreciated.

Natural Trench w/Captoe and Leather Sole
http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/footwear/natural-captoe-trench-boot

Natural Trech w/Captoe and Vibram Sole
http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/footwear/natural-vibram-sole-cap-toe-trench-boot

Black Trench (no captoe)
http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=3785

Thank you!

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love the way natural chromexcel ages and it can go with a variety of styles and outfits. The sole is a personal preference based on style; for me it is the leather sole but its your call as its your money ;)

BrandonJG

Reaction score
I agree with ryden. The whole white platform/wedge Vibram sole thing is most definitely a trend, albeit a strong one and not necessarily a bad one. The leather soles are by far more versatile and classic; they'll never go out of style. I also prefer the cleaner, or more defined lines of having a heel opposed to a wedge sole. I would personally choose the captoe with leather sole version. Hope that helps!

Ponyboy312

Reaction score
Very helpful Brandon, thanks...we Brandons have to stick toghether.

I wouldve liked to have more opinions in this thread.

So I really appreciate the input that has been given and hope to get some more.

dlm4114

Reaction score
I'd go natural chrom. captoe. In fact I am thinking of picking up a pair of these myself. I think they're the most versatile -- the natural ages really nicely and will give you the most range in terms of what you can wear it with. It'll look boss with everything from a tee up to a blazer, and the captoe adds a little flair. The plain toe is cool too -- more of a personal preference thing. I'd go leather sole -- I think it's the most classic and has the best-looking profile -- but that's another personal preference, and one that might changed based on the climate of where you live. The only 100% recommendation I have here is to NOT get the black. I really don't dig black shoes for anything other than a tux, and even then I think (if you can pull it off) dark navy is the way to go.

Ponyboy312

Reaction score
I'd go natural chrom. captoe. In fact I am thinking of picking up a pair of these myself. I think they're the most versatile -- the natural ages really nicely and will give you the most range in terms of what you can wear it with. It'll look boss with everything from a tee up to a blazer, and the captoe adds a little flair. The plain toe is cool too -- more of a personal preference thing. I'd go leather sole -- I think it's the most classic and has the best-looking profile -- but that's another personal preference, and one that might changed based on the climate of where you live. The only 100% recommendation I have here is to NOT get the black. I really don't dig black shoes for anything other than a tux, and even then I think (if you can pull it off) dark navy is the way to go.

Thanks. Excellent breakdown. Meant to get the shoes like a week after I made the post but have had money issues. I'll get/order them before the ides of March. And I'm going with the natural captoe per your suggestion. Thanks!

Ponyboy312

Reaction score
Thanks. Excellent breakdown. Meant to get the shoes like a week after I made the post but have had money issues. I'll get/order them before the ides of March. And I'm going with the natural captoe per your suggestion. Thanks!

A happy ending.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads