• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden boots in need of repairs and soles, need advice

kramo

Reaction score
I have this nice pair of Alden plain toe boots in black.

Some stitching needs to be repaired and the soles are worn.
They’re crepe, and when I wear them in the rain it feels like they’re soaking up water like a sponge.

Not sure if all natural crepe behaves this way or the water absorption is due to damage or wear.

QUESTION:
Should I get these re-soled, and if so should I get a commando sole or replace the original crepe.

I was told by Alden Madison that I could send them to Alden but they’d only replace with an original sole to the shoe.

Eddies Shoe Repair at 30 Rock is right near me and I was considering having them put a commando sole on.

Is there a specific type of commando sole that would work best on this boot?

Thanks for your help!

PRODUCT DETAILS
The classic all weather walker boot. Made in a waxy, smooth black Trapper calfskin leather which has a soft matte finish to it. Lace-up front with combo lacing system and waxed cotton laces. Full-glove leather lining. Steel shank.
  • Made in the U.S.A.
  • Black calf.
  • Natural plantation crepe double outsoles with fitted leather tip.
  • 360 degree goodyear storm welt.
  • Barrie last.
  • “D” width.

Last edited:

Braid

Reaction score
The boots seem to be in very good condition, if you still like and use them I don't see why you shouldn't get these resoled.

If you are not happy with the sole call Alden and ask if it's possibile to have a different sole and get a quote. If they do it send it to them for a recraft, if they don't go to a local cobbler anche choose the sole you like.

kramo

Reaction score
Thanks Braid I’ll try Alden.

The boots are great, only some stitching needs to be repaired.

The soles I’m not so sure about, the crepe material feels like it absorbs water and it gets slippery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads