• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC hotel recommendation please

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm going to be in NY for approximately a week in the beginning of October. Any recommendations for a nice, clean and reasonably well located hotel please?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More than one can mention. It depends on your budget. I use Hotwire, cross-checking the descriptions on betterbidding.com to narrow down what hotel I'm getting. It works pretty well.

b

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paramount Hotel (budget)

235 West 46th St
(at Eighth Avenue)

Its pretty easy to score cheap rooms (~$150 night) for someone on a budget. The rooms are relatively small, but the location isnt totally out of the way.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my recent trip up I stayed at The Gershwin (http://gershwinhotel.com/). Besides the Warhol self-portrait / signed Cambell's soup can in the lobby and the very hot French girl working the front desk, I would recommend nobody ever stay there despite the appealing price and artwork. Shoddy rooms (we had a suite and even still it reminded me of the terrible dorm rooms I had at overseas soccer school), water temp. in the showers that range from too cold to way too hot (I almost killed myself one time trying to escape a scalding), the linens were harsh, wi-fi didn't work properly, never gave us enough towels, pethetic coffee bar in the lobby is expensive, the remote for my room didn't work (the TVs are Samsung LCD panels so you need a remote to switch channels), never gave me the wake up call I requested and ended up getting jipped on the parking. I'm probably missing a few points. It is however located next to The Museum of Sex, so yeah, there's that...

For my November trip I'm staying at Chambers (http://www.chambershotel.com/) which comes highly recommended by a lot of jet-setters and immediately seems swank by just looking at the accomodations. If money is no object you may want to check it out.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Hi all, I'm going to be in NY for approximately a week in the beginning of October. Any recommendations for a nice, clean and reasonably well located hotel please?

The Waldorf is great, my favourite is The Pierre.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are so many hotels that cater to a variety of tastes and budgets. Over the years, I've tried a few across the range. That said, I really like the Library Hotel (for book lovers). Soho House is lovely, if a bit pretentious. The Carlyle and the Mark are rather more gracious - sedate, too. If you are to go all out, the Four Seasons. Bad experiences with the Ritz Carlton, Central Park. In a pinch, good deals can be had at the Hilton Times Square, though there is nothing at all special about the hotel. I liked the Stanhope as it was right across from the Met, but the rooms are a bit small and shabby. And finally, long story, but stay away from the New Yorker Hotel.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I also need to redefine my budget!
smile.gif

kennethpollock

Reaction score
If money is no object: the St. Regis, Carlyle, and Pierre for old style elegance; the Mandarin Oriental and Four Seasons for more modern.

A bit less-the Waldorf and Regency (classy)

One notch below them: Omni Berkshire, Michelangelo, City Club

I understand that the Muse is the only boutique hotel with good-sized rooms

I find Quikbook is the best discount booking agency-no booking fees at all nor any charges for cancellation or changes

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
If money is no object: the St. Regis, Caryle, and Pierre for old style elegance; the Mandarin Oriental and Four Seasons for more modern.

A bit less-the Waldorf and Regency (classy)

One notch below them: Omni Berkshire, Michelangelo, City Club

I understand that the Muse is the only boutique hotel with good-sized rooms

I find Quikbook is the best discount booking agency-no booking fees at all nor any charges for cancellation or changes

I'd add the Benjamin at about the level of the Waldorf and Regency. I used to like the Parker-Meridien but have not been there in years.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
If money is no object: the St. Regis, Caryle, and Pierre

On a completely unrelated note, the tri-plex penthouse at the Pierre is for sale for a meager $70 million.

Perhaps it would suffice as a pied a terre.

b

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads