• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Novice" to shoes - Looking for brown wing tips - Range: <$150 preferably

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
eBay search ---> Vintage Florsheim

What size are you? I have a pair of Florsheim brown pebble grain bluchers that are too big and I'm looking to sell.

epic raccoon

Reaction score
I'm in the exact same situation as you and I'm a bit irritated at the suggestions I get here to buy $300 shoes. As much as I'd love to, I can't afford to.

I managed to pick up a pair of Bostonians from my local Burlington Coat Factory for $25 last month. Rubber soled, but the leather is full grain and they've held up surprisingly well for $25 shoes. I've been shopping various Burlington Coat Factory, Marshalls, outlets, etc. in my area for months now. It's pretty tough to shoes in my size (8-8.5) let alone wide shoes, so I often have to size up when it comes to cheap beaters.

I also picked up a pair of leather soled USA made Bostonian cap toe bluchers ($8) and a pair of cheap rubber soled Florsheim cap toe bluchers ($10) at thrift stores.

Definitely check out any discount/outlet stores such as Marshalls, Ross, TJ Maxx, Burlington Coat Factory...Saks off Fifth, Nordstrom Rack, etc, etc. There may be local ones specific to your area that others may not know about, so take a look.

Also, if you shoot an e-mail to Allen Edmonds requesting a list of discontinued and seconds shoes in your size, they have quite a selection <$200. Unfortunately, trying them on prior to purchasing won't be an option here.

nohomo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epic raccoon
I'm in the exact same situation as you and I'm a bit irritated at the suggestions I get here to buy $300 shoes. As much as I'd love to, I can't afford to.

I managed to pick up a pair of Bostonians from my local Burlington Coat Factory for $25 last month. Rubber soled, but the leather is full grain and they've held up surprisingly well for $25 shoes. I've been shopping various Burlington Coat Factory, Marshalls, outlets, etc. in my area for months now. It's pretty tough to shoes in my size (8-8.5) let alone wide shoes, so I often have to size up when it comes to cheap beaters.

I also picked up a pair of leather soled USA made Bostonian cap toe bluchers ($8) and a pair of cheap rubber soled Florsheim cap toe bluchers ($10) at thrift stores.

Definitely check out any discount/outlet stores such as Marshalls, Ross, TJ Maxx, Burlington Coat Factory...Saks off Fifth, Nordstrom Rack, etc, etc. There may be local ones specific to your area that others may not know about, so take a look.

Also, if you shoot an e-mail to Allen Edmonds requesting a list of discontinued and seconds shoes in your size, they have quite a selection <$200. Unfortunately, trying them on prior to purchasing won't be an option here.

The only $300+ shoes that have been mentioned in this thread were posted by the OP.

He asked for brown wingtips, and two people including myself have recommended the Hinsdale, which fit in the budget of $150 (maybe like $10 over). It's a discontinued model, but from either Amazon or Shoe Bank, they'll be new shoes, on a comfy 5 last, with a classic, though a bit bland, styling. Other than getting used shoes or finding a once in a lifetime deal on B&S or Ebay, you can't do much better than that for $150.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are a narrow 11.5 you score off that sale. also look at these, right in your price range. Tell us your size, people may be able to help.

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-...4958100&sr=8-2

Originally Posted by jreigen
I picked up a pair of the AE Hinsdales from Amazon for $140 a few weeks ago here:

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-...4945587&sr=8-1

Sizes are very picked over now, but if you keep your eyes open, sometimes they will come back in stock. Prices have been going back and forth from $139-149.

refinery

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coal_Mining_Polak
eBay search ---> Vintage Florsheim

What size are you? I have a pair of Florsheim brown pebble grain bluchers that are too big and I'm looking to sell.

I am a 10D-10.5D. Depends on the shoe. I like to be safe and pick 10.5D for anything with laces.

refinery

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
If you are a narrow 11.5 you score off that sale. also look at these, right in your price range. Tell us your size, people may be able to help.

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-...4958100&sr=8-2

Yeah, I know. :[. Those look great and fit my budget.

I'm actually a size 11 for a pair of Kenneth Coles I have. I don't know if that means anything. It's a little loose but I don't think I can compensate for getting an 11.5, although it looks like a great deal.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by refinery
Yeah, I know. :[. Those look great and fit my budget.

I'm actually a size 11 for a pair of Kenneth Coles I have. I don't know if that means anything. It's a little loose but I don't think I can compensate for getting an 11.5, although it looks like a great deal.

It doesn't mean anything, as around here we try to pretend Kenneth Coles don't exist.

Ryan Graber

Reaction score
do you have the off fifth near you, or last call?
these would be your best bet, as you can actually try it on, I'd recommend mezlan or magnanni on sale for your price range.

tc6

Reaction score
IDK what a lot of the people on this forum think about Aldo, but they have some pretty decent shoes. They fall into your price range, and I personally know a lot of college kids that wear them.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the AE Hinsdales from Amazon reccomendation. A great shoe for the money. You can't go wrong.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's another pair: http://cgi.ebay.com/ALDEN-ANDRISEN-M...item518d2ab457 I can appreciate what you're going through as I'm in the same boat. Can't afford most shoes, and the ones I can afford don't look that great. I was going to suggest Magnanni, but their prices seem to be out of your range, although I have seen them on sale once.

refinery

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
Here's another pair: http://cgi.ebay.com/ALDEN-ANDRISEN-M...item518d2ab457

I can appreciate what you're going through as I'm in the same boat. Can't afford most shoes, and the ones I can afford don't look that great. I was going to suggest Magnanni, but their prices seem to be out of your range, although I have seen them on sale once.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll look into all of them on eBay and Craigslist and etc. I'll try to snag any good deals before anyone steals them. Seems to be a pain to find 10.5D shoes on eBay... Maybe it's just against my luck right now.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$23 out of range, but these look to fit your fashion forward wingtip needs and they are a great deal. Bally does not get a lot of love around here, but... http://www.amazon.com/BALLY-Bagni-Ba...=pd_sbs_shoe_9 Oh hey, look at that, $25 off of any purchase over $100, so these are $148 out the door. Don't say I haven't done anything for you lately (I'm a bit tempted to pick up a pair in 13D). Coupon is OCTSHOES at checkout. Edit: forget that last bit, the promotion does not apply to this shoe. Not clearly presented. Still 173 is not bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads