• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nordstrom Suit Department: What has happened to their salesmen?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just daring the Black Friday madness at my local Nordstrom and it seems they have really loosened up the dress code for their male salesmen. It used to be almost inevitable that they were better-dressed than 98% of their customers, and it was actually more common than not to see them in MTM or bespoke (frequently three-piece) suits and all the trimmings. The last few times I have been in, some of the men selling suits aren't even wearing ties or jackets. I could understand some dressing down in some of the areas that have casual and trendy clothing, but in the suit department? It's a sad state of affairs when Men's Wearhouse has a stricter standard for their male employee's attire than Nordstrom...what is happening to this world?

TOstyle

Reaction score
I mean it's Nordstroms. I don't know what that means to you, but it doesn't mean much to me...I wouldn't have expected anything else?

Also, that might have been extra staff hired on to manage the crush of Black Friday. If they had regular staff, they probably are at least typically suited.

TOstyle

Reaction score
And that said, I don't think the sky is falling if it isn't the case. It's still just a department store.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, they were not temps...Nordstrom is way too strict about who they allow on their sales floor. And the salesmen have worked there for years.

With all due respect, Nordstrom is not "just a department store." They generally have better selection and service then many high-end, independent men's clothiers.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is something I have noted on several recent visits. Not just on Black Friday.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a sad state of affairs when Men's Wearhouse has a stricter standard for their male employee's attire than Nordstrom...what is happening to this world?

I've noticed the same thing at my local Nordstrom. Signs o' the times, I guess.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess soon bankers and attorneys will show up for work in khakis and polos...

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't say I recall ever seeing the salesmen in Nordstrom wearing what are obviously MTM or bespoke suits. Many were well dressed, in suits and ties - better than the general public - but not quite at the level you've described.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the ones I have gone to in The Pacific Northwest and Midwest they (were) really dressed to the nines. They get a really generous store discount and then some of the vendors give them a deal on top of that, so they will wear their garments on the sales floor.

manchambo

Reaction score
I can't stand Nordstrom suit salespeople generally. It's absolutely impossible to browse there. They won't accept looking around. Before I knew anything much about suits I had them foist off some true crap on me. Now that I do, the few times I've seriously shopped there, I've explained what I'm looking for, and they continue to bring me crap I wouldn't consider buying, and they obviously don't understand why it's crap.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things must vary from region to region, because the Nordstrom in Orlando closed down some months ago (as did Saks). Most men SAs dressed in suits, but not necessarily showing their sartorial splendor. Neimans is the only place were SAs dress noticeably better here, sometimes not that much. The only style to be learned here is through the internet...

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The age of the grand department store is truly dying....especially with Macy's taking over so many great regional stores like Dayton's, Marshall Field and Rich's.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed, I have noticed that high end boutiques are doing quite well in comparison. While Nordstrom and Saks have closed down here, they have been replaced with an abundance of boutiques from the likes of Gucci, Burberry, Prada, Chanel, LV, etc.

I guess the high end brands have learned how to push out the middle man, offer some higher perceived glamor to the customer, all the while taking a bigger piece of the pie...

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All the ones I have gone to in The Pacific Northwest and Midwest they (were) really dressed to the nines. They get a really generous store discount and then some of the vendors give them a deal on top of that, so they will wear their garments on the sales floor.

Yeah right. At my Nordstroms- Palo Alto CA, and one
of the wealtiest areas in the US, the most generous store
discount would not result in the sales staff looking like they
were wearing bespoke. There is nothing that the store carries
that looks remotely bespoke or even high end OTR.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads