• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-SLR Camera Suggestions etc. (dSLR, Micro 43 etc.)

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The RX-100 (mk 3) that my dad bought himself when I was home for the holidays was a pretty solid camera.
He was still trying to dial in the settings a bit--I believe he liked the photos it took of stuff, but not as much the photos it took of people (but that's from a pro, you would probably think they were fine photos)--but it was a pretty solid feeling camera. The mk3 is probably out of your price range, but check around for a mk2 or something.

Otherwise, you can just get another S--- camera. They are small and take good pictures. Not sure where the sweet spot is--people seem to have preferences for different models, so occasionally there are times where the newest model isn't really better than the previous one.

What are your thoughts on the S120? Or the Sony NEX-F3? Someone is trying to sell me the F3 for $270 used but he can go fly a kite.

Edit, basically I"m looking for something that can take better pictures than a point and shoot but not quite SLR. Not sure if that makes sense, also needs to be compact

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are all great.

Lens selection is key. The photos all used the 45 mm lens (90 mm equivalent), considered quite optimal for portraits. If you are not interested in changing lenses, a fixed lens camera like the RX100 maybe be better value for the buck.

I have a 42.5 mm f1.2 and the color I get from that lens is much better than all my other lenses.

Last edited:

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I just picked up a Nikon D750. Really enjoying it so far.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can buy used, a Sony NEX is probably your best bet. I still like my NEX-C3. Not the latest and greatest but it gets the job done.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I'm strongly considering a Leica Q based on extensive research. I've always wanted to try a Leica lens.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my kid wants a nice camera in order to document his exciting life and travels
laugh2-smiley.gif
. I was thinking about getting him a beginner mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Any ideas? I've identified a few that seem to fit his needs but would be open to other (read: cheaper) options.

Also what is the deal with grey market cameras? Are the cost savings worth it? I'm going to assume if I use my AMEX their product protection benefit would cover any warranty issues

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7
panasonic_dmc_gf7kk_lumix_dmc_gf7_mirrorless_micro_1112992.jpg

Fujifilm X-A2

fujifilm_x_a2_mirrorless_digital_camera_1112819.jpg

Nikon 1 J5

nikon_27711_nikon_1_j5_w_10_100mm_1135824.jpg

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The M4/3 system is the way to go in my mind, but the Fujis take some really nice pictures (but $$$ and more limited lens selection).
The nikon seems like a waste since they are trying not to cannibalize their SLR sales.

GF7 is nice looking and small, but I think I might rather have the viewfinder from something like the olympus E-m10 (can probably get a good price on a Mk 1 body).

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with a Sony A6000.... biggest sensor (same size as Fuji), some decent lenses, huge bang for the buck and you can pick one up at Best Buy. Also comes with a smaller kit lens. Of those three I would go with the Fuji.

Gray market = no warranty. You would be better off buying slightly used or refurbished.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads