• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Non- Cashmere" sweaters for the office (solids, crew and v -neck) - Ideas and Recommendations?

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the measurements of those M & L sweaters at Howard Yount? I can't find them on their webpage, which is odd because it's a basic "must-do" thing and they have 'em for their pants.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Anyone know the measurements of those M & L sweaters at Howard Yount? I can't find them on their webpage, which is odd because it's a basic "must-do" thing and they have 'em for their pants.

+1. No idea how/why they left them off. I always wear a button-front under my v necks so I think I should size up, but really have no idea :confused:

millionaire75

Reaction score
I know it gets no love around here, but I recently bought a few Express merino v necks for 35 each (buy one, get second half off plus 25% coupon) and they have held up well and are very slim cut. Also, they seem to have every possible color combination. Also picked up a couple cotton H&M v necks for 20 each. Also slim fitting. Bought a small in all of them (I'm 5'8", 165 with a somewhat athletic build).

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely BB merino wool v-neck. When offered at discount they are approx $65.

I wholeheartedly agree on BB merino wool v neck sweaters. Nice quality wool and slim fit. I've never paid more than $55 per sweater, though. Currently on sale for $45ish with very limited selection remaining.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wholeheartedly agree on BB merino wool v neck sweaters.  Nice quality wool and slim fit.  I've never paid more than $55 per sweater, though.  Currently on sale for $45ish with very limited selection remaining.

A better shopper than I.

I just checked BB and you're right, there's bugger all left. Howard Yount (HY) is depleting too, but still some better colors.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall lambswool (HY) > than merino (BB). Looks like HY is the better choice, though 30 dollars more.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Buy 1 Men's Merino sweater, get a Joseph A. Bank franchise ABSOLUTELY free!

southbound35

Reaction score

Did you get 16 free?

Funny. Sadly, only two

Buy 1 Men's Merino sweater, get a Joseph A. Bank franchise ABSOLUTELY free!

I missed that sale. Damn it.

Admittedly, 95% of what JAB sells is crap. But, I consider a sub-$100 merino v-neck a commodity and JAB's version is essentially the same as everyone else's and a decent deal for $29.99.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently wearing Jcrew "slim fit" sweaters available on their website. So far, it's the best slim fitting sweater that I have found.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny. Sadly, only two
I missed that sale. Damn it.
Admittedly, 95% of what JAB sells is crap. But, I consider a sub-$100 merino v-neck a commodity and JAB's version is essentially the same as everyone else's and a decent deal for $29.99.

Sorry, but there is no way that a JAB sweater can be described as "slim fit.". I replaced a bunch of JAB merino wool v-necks with BB merino v-necks this winter. I could never figure out why I looked so frumpy in my JAB sweaters over the past few years until I made the switch. The arms and waist on the JAB sweaters are huge!!

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry, but there is no way that a JAB sweater can be described as "slim fit.".  I replaced a bunch of JAB merino wool v-necks with BB merino v-necks this winter.  I could never figure out why I looked so frumpy in my JAB sweaters over the past few years until I made the switch.  The arms and waist on the JAB sweaters are huge!!

Agreed. Their stuff fits like a tent.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Try Smedley or Ferrante. SF affiliate Epaulet currently carries a very nice Ferrante one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads