• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NIK WALLENDA Highwire walk over Niagara Falls (Friday June 15, 2012)

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NIK WALLENDA Highwire walk over Niagara Falls (Friday June 15, 2012)

Watch this if you haven't seen it already. We may never see someone attempt this again in our lifetime.
Breath taking! The video runs just under 30 minutes.

This is the raw video without sound

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

This is the ABC - CTV Broadcast With sound

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I find this man and his family truly inspiring. They give something very unique to the world and have been doing so for 7 generations. WOW Nik! Congratulations to you and your family!

Discuss.....

Last edited:

tullytra

Reaction score
It would've been more captivating had ABC not made him use the harness. It's still amazing that he did it, but the uncertainty was taken out for the viewer. Afterward he said he has a permit to cross the Grand Canyon. I hope he does that one the way he wants. I'd be glued to that one as opposed to just having it on in the background like last night.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree. The uncertainty was very much still there. Many things still could have gone wrong. He still could have slipped and had to rescue himself or the tether anchor could have gotten stuck on one of the pendulum wires, etc. Having read what Nik said about the tether was interesting; that it would impede the walk if anything by having to drag a 10lb weight behind him. My heart was pounding every second of it.
I didn't want to post it here, but you can see his great grandfathers last walk on YouTube. Just search Carl Wallenda. I warn you it is graphic enough seeing him fall off the wire. This is extreme danger no matter which way one looks at it. Nik didn't have much of a choice with ABC threatening not to cover the event without the tether. He still earns the 'Balls Of Steel' award in my books.

Last edited:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With enough practice, I could probably do this.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With enough practice, I could probably do this.

You're ready now Neo. No practice required to fall. :)

I'm a fraid of heights myself so have to stay with sidewalk curbs.

Last edited:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I have a gift for balance. I learned how to rollerblade at the age of 6.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Neo has been walking the tightrope with Jamie for quite a while. Even though that's only a metaphorical tightrope walking, it's probably adequate preparation for the real thing.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This event was so anticlimactic. I yawned, I stiched channels, I bitched and moaned to my brothers.

I believe you. Please go to Niagara Falls and show Nik by your own example, how to do it better.

AndyMG

Reaction score
Tightrope walking with a harness? Where's the danger? No danger = no excitement as far as I'm concerned. If you want to see something really exciting/dangerous there's plenty of freeclimbing videos about. Some of those guys are insane.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics