• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Moeck14

Reaction score
Don’t buy a nicks boot just for a wedge sole …. That same sole can be found on many other brands. if the reasoning for buying one is just adding to the collection, I say 55 last. That wedge can wait. Lol .. but I don’t want to make a decision for you. If you really like the moc toe consider that too. I just wouldn’t ever buy a nicks because of a wedge sole alone.
I am looking for more of a work boot (around the house/not for my job) but have a multiple commando sole boots so was looking to possibly pick up a wedge sole. Just wasn't sure if my first Nicks boot should be more of a classic arch boot.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have seen on the YouTube channel, love how you guys show how they are assembled! Gives you some perspective on everything that goes into the process
Thank you for the kind words.

Objectively, we do add some things in the build process (like some shanking stuff) to make the 2021 or Christy more supportive. In fairness to @brandonboot , the full lug with the 55 will be a different experience than what you've had with the commandos. It's a lot of boot for kicking around the house, but very empowering. I feel much taller when I wear them, because I am.

Moeck14

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words.

Objectively, we do add some things in the build process (like some shanking stuff) to make the 2021 or Christy more supportive. In fairness to @brandonboot , the full lug with the 55 will be a different experience than what you've had with the commandos. It's a lot of boot for kicking around the house, but very empowering. I feel much taller when I wear them, because I am.

Thanks appreciate the information!

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wasn't sure if my first Nicks boot should be more of a classic arch boot.
I was (trying) to make the point your first nicks boot purchase shouldn’t be decided over a sole. You don’t come to nicks just for a sole was the point lol (at least at first don’t kill me). It’s almost disrespectful (imo) to buy a nicks boot because it has the sole your looking for only. You could always get a sub 300$ red wing moc toe or something if that was the case. The choice is yours! But screw that wedge sole… buy the best nicks boot they make! It sounds like you aren’t being forced to wear a wedge anyway. Used other brands as a example because the sole is the last thing that should be on your mind when buying boots that are considered the best. But who knows maybe somebody’s holding a gun to your head saying you must buy a wedge sole boot 🤷‍♂️

Moeck14

Reaction score
I was (trying) to make the point your first nicks boot purchase shouldn’t be decided over a sole. You don’t come to nicks just for a sole was the point lol (at least at first don’t kill me). It’s almost disrespectful (imo) to buy a nicks boot because it has the sole your looking for only. You could always get a sub 300$ red wing moc toe or something if that was the case. The choice is yours! But screw that wedge sole… buy the best nicks boot they make! It sounds like you aren’t being forced to wear a wedge anyway. Used other brands as a example because the sole is the last thing that should be on your mind when buying boots that are considered the best. But who knows maybe somebody’s holding a gun to your head saying you must buy a wedge sole boot 🤷‍♂️
Appreciate the input. Was mainly leaning towards wedge sole for comfort reasons. Have a lot of dainite sole boots which I am not a huge fan of comfort wise. Never had a high arch boot so I think I am leaning towards trying the 55 last to see if the arch support helps

DG123

Reaction score
Appreciate the input. Was mainly leaning towards wedge sole for comfort reasons. Have a lot of dainite sole boots which I am not a huge fan of comfort wise. Never had a high arch boot so I think I am leaning towards trying the 55 last to see if the arch support helps

Dainite is good for durability and wet weather but (as you have learned) not much for comfort.. Any sort of lug sole looks cool and provides traction on muddy off road surfaces, but it is not especially comfortable. Wedge soles are ideal for comfort when standing, or walking on hard surfaces such as wood or concrete, so you're on the right track thinking that wedge equals comfort.
If you want a comfortable wedge sole boot I recommend the Nicks Aldert Strider.
If you want to experience significant arch support I recommend Nicks stock specification Robert model, This boot will be produced using the 55 Last and standard 5/8" heel height. * note the heel height is a primary component of the "arch support feeling".

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Moeck14 i hope I made it clear not to get too distracted on the sole. All nicks boots are great. My honest opinion would be go with a heritage MTO. I personally like the mtos listed in the limited run boots. You can choose the last and boot height on those ones. So I believe you can actually make any model of boot nicks offers. (technically) if the backstay matches up. I guess you could never make a Americana even if you chose 6inch hnw last/toe cap but the backstay was the one used on a falcon. I even saw the oiled latigo had a 4inch option on its MTO. Oiled latigo aldert strider anyone?? Yes please.

- I forgot to mention you can also make the boot lighter if that’s something you want like I do. My 6inch hnw mto with a leather sole and soft toe was much lighter then the stock falcon with vbar and structured toe. Even tho they are the same style boot.

Last edited:

Moeck14

Reaction score
Dainite is good for durability and wet weather but (as you have learned) not much for comfort.. Any sort of lug sole looks cool and provides traction on muddy off road surfaces, but it is not especially comfortable. Wedge soles are ideal for comfort when standing, or walking on hard surfaces such as wood or concrete, so you're on the right track thinking that wedge equals comfort.
If you want a comfortable wedge sole boot I recommend the Nicks Aldert Strider.
If you want to experience significant arch support I recommend Nicks stock specification Robert model, This boot will be produced using the 55 Last and standard 5/8" heel height. * note the heel height is a primary component of the "arch support feeling".
Thanks really appreciate the input here. I will have a look at the Robert and Aldert. I hadn't considered the Aldert before

Moeck14

Reaction score
@Moeck14 i hope I made it clear not to get too distracted on the sole. All nicks boots are great. My honest opinion would be go with a heritage MTO. I personally like the mtos listed in the limited run boots. You can choose the last and boot height on those ones. So I believe you can actually make any model of boot nicks offers. (technically) if the backstay matches up. I guess you could never make a Americana even if you chose 6inch hnw last/toe cap but the backstay was the one used on a falcon. I even saw the oiled latigo had a 4inch option on its MTO. Oiled latigo aldert strider anyone?? Yes please.

- I forgot to mention you can also make the boot lighter if that’s something you want like I do. My 6inch hnw mto with a leather sole and soft toe was much lighter then the stock falcon with vbar and structured toe. Even tho they are the same style boot.
Thanks will check the heritage MTO out. I love that you can customize to that level in the online tool! Maybe I will have a look at the classic configs and find features I like from there then try the MTO after

TyrLI

Reaction score
Don’t buy a nicks boot just for a wedge sole …. That same sole can be found on many other brands. if the reasoning for buying one is just adding to the collection, I say 55 last. That wedge can wait. Lol .. but I don’t want to make a decision for you. If you really like the moc toe consider that too. I just wouldn’t ever buy a nicks because of a wedge sole alone.
This can easily be turned around. You're pushing him towards "classic" vs what he's decided he really wants. If he wants a wedge sole, why not? Because you don't care for them? Bah! Sounds like a wedge is perfect for what he will use them for. He might have flat feet for all you know.

DG123

Reaction score
Thanks really appreciate the input here. I will have a look at the Robert and Aldert. I hadn't considered the Aldert before

Both the Aldert and Robert models are part of Nicks "Quick Ship" ( approximately 8 weeks lead time) program of stock-standard configuration boots:

Also, Nicks has in-stock-now immediate shipment inventory , which is updated almost daily, here:

Buying from either of the above is a great way to put on a pair or two of Nicks so you can learn what the company's products look and feel like , figure out your best fitting size etc...

Faethor

Reaction score
Another question for those of you that ordered a pair of boots with the try-on option using a credit card. When did they charge your card? When the order was first placed? Or do they wait to charge the card?
I emailed them about this and the answer I got was cryptic at best and did not answer my question.

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads