• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
@Nicks Boots Shuyler I can't thank you enough! I was obviously excited about this MTO spec, but somehow it came out even better than I expected. It's like it took the wind out of my sails, but in a good way... I literally couldn't want more out of an everyday boot. Maybe at some point I'll get a matching all-black pair to dress up a little.

Last year I sort of bought my Americanas on a whim because I wanted a casual pair that would be radically different from my BuilderPro... but over time I realized I missed the higher arch and, shoot, maybe didn't care for the cap toe look as much as I thought. Super glad I dwelled on my next build for a while, and then came across this place where you helped me with those extra modifications.

The uppers are absolute perfection. I don't know if that's something you can edit or note in my fit database, but I'm 100% down to go with this fit on anything from here on out. L11.5EE/R11EE/upper 9E is the jackpot.

(Quick at-home break in - forgive the sweatpants, lol)

View attachment 1530805 View attachment 1530806 View attachment 1530807

Two more pairs later, I think I might've been lying ?

TyrLI

Reaction score
My 1964 Rangers are coming this Friday
tenor (14).gif

Buellrider

Reaction score
My build shows “complete” but no shipping info yet. Hopefully will ship early this week!

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick query on the urban logger...

These photos are taken from the website and I wanted to confirm is the boot on the left the moderate arch and the right a classic arch?

Urban logger.jpg

I couldn't see an explanation for this but that was my assumption for the difference in heel height.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also does anyone have any info on the brown leather?

The Falcon (nicksboots.com)

I was just wondering how this one ages and what it is like in general.

Much appreciated!

TyrLI

Reaction score
Quick query on the urban logger...

These photos are taken from the website and I wanted to confirm is the boot on the left the moderate arch and the right a classic arch?

View attachment 1638797

I couldn't see an explanation for this but that was my assumption for the difference in heel height.
Yes, on the left is a HNW last (moderate arch) and on the right is a 55 last.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Also does anyone have any info on the brown leather?

The Falcon (nicksboots.com)

I was just wondering how this one ages and what it is like in general.

Much appreciated!
Hi,

This is Horween brown CXL and our most popular heritage leather, and probably one of the most popular leathers in our space from a volume standpoint. It is 6/7 oz's in weight and is not struck through so develops a very nice and even patina over time. The image below is a used Oakstreet Trench boot that's probably from the Artisan Shoe factory in Batavia, NY in Brown CXL to give you an idea of how they will wear. This leather is probably 5/6 oz versus the 6/7 oz so I would expect ours to be a little stiffer with less creasing if you're familiar with these directly.

1626283650268.png

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is Horween brown CXL and our most popular heritage leather, and probably one of the most popular leathers in our space from a volume standpoint. It is 6/7 oz's in weight and is not struck through so develops a very nice and even patina over time. The image below is a used Oakstreet Trench boot that's probably from the Artisan Shoe factory in Batavia, NY in Brown CXL to give you an idea of how they will wear. This leather is probably 5/6 oz versus the 6/7 oz so I would expect ours to be a little stiffer with less creasing if you're familiar with these directly.

View attachment 1638843

Thanks Shuyler, brown chromexcel is really nice and that photo is much appreciated.

Less creasing sounds good to me ?

Woodtroll

Reaction score
MTO Packers in 1964 leather arrived today, and I am extremely pleased with them!

IMG_2071.jpg
IMG_2072.jpg
IMG_2073.jpg
IMG_2074.jpg

Ordered late April to take advantage of the 10% off introduction of the 1964 leather, and delivered today, so the process took about 11 weeks or so and was much quicker than I expected. These have double midsoles and the 1964 leather, but otherwise are a "stock" 10" build with 430 soles. The toe is a #2, a semi-pointed toe. Shuyler suggested I order the same size as I wear in the 25V Hot Shots, and it was good advice - I think the fit will be perfect after break-in.

Workmanship is excellent on these boots! Stitching is neat and even, with no missed stitches. No scars or scuffing except for some rubs from shipping. Heels and toes are symmetrical and even, nicely trimmed. Margins are perfect.

I REALLY like this leather, too - a nice mid-brown, and maybe a little softer to start with than oiltan leather. I will use these mostly as "casual/dress" boots, but I won't baby them, so I'm curious to see how the leather wears.

Only two things I'm slightly disappointed in - I had asked that the top eyelets be replaced by hooks. Shuyler told me he would put this in the notes, but thought it an unusual request and so was afraid it might be missed. And it was. But to be fair he was up-front about it, and I figured it didn't hurt to try. It's no big deal, but I wouldn't think this too tough to do on a MTO boot.

Second, a completely different, much darker leather was used for the tongue. I'm guessing they don't have a thinner 1964 leather to use for the tongue, maybe? I'm not a contrast kind of guy, so this was pretty surprising to me, again especially for a MTO boot. But, I don't wear these boots with shorts (hell, I NEVER wear shorts!), and I always put the kilties on after I get the tongue leather trained after a few wears. So no one will ever know, and it really doesn't make any difference.

Even with these two little glitches, I LOVE these boots, and am impressed with the new leather, the value, and the workmanship. I am tickled that Nick's offers a MTO program, that Shuyler was willing to answer my questions promptly and patiently, and that there are folks that still build great boots by hand for those of us that appreciate them!

Y'all have a good weekend!

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
@Woodtroll - Great looking boots and WOW I didnt know you were such a good photographer. Shuyler has singlehandedly changed the face of Nicks for me & Im totally on board.

The clicking on your boots looks really solid, especially the sole stitching - its truly beautiful.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the 1964 leather as you get a chance to put it through it's paces; how it breaks in, how well it handles getting real work done & how well it dresses up should one want to pamper it.

A quick question on sizing - how does their Packer compare to the 55 last? Ive always wanted a nice pair of Packers but have never tried any on.

btw - I'm a top hook honk as well. I don't understand WTH people do with an eyelet on top of hooks.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
@Woodtroll - Great looking boots and WOW I didnt know you were such a good photographer. Shuyler has singlehandedly changed the face of Nicks for me & Im totally on board.

The clicking on your boots looks really solid, especially the sole stitching - its truly beautiful.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the 1964 leather as you get a chance to put it through it's paces; how it breaks in, how well it handles getting real work done & how well it dresses up should one want to pamper it.

A quick question on sizing - how does their Packer compare to the 55 last? Ive always wanted a nice pair of Packers but have never tried any on.

btw - I'm a top hook honk as well. I don't understand WTH people do with an eyelet on top of hooks.

Haha! I'm certainly no photographer, I was just being lazy and was looking for the closest thing to prop them up on that wasn't a truck hood, and the logs happened to be handy. But thank you all the same.

Yes, they really did a nice job with the clicking and stitching on these. I was afraid I was taking a gamble with a brand new leather, but my first impression is very positive.

As far as the sizing - my only other Nick's are the Hot Shots on the 11067 last. These packers are on the 5332 last, although the #3 toe is on the 55. Some time back I had asked Nick's if their 55 was the same last as White's 55, and they said it was very similar. I can tell you that these boots fit pretty close to the same size White's 55 last, except for the toebox being slightly tighter because I wanted the #2 semi-pointed toe. I'm not sure if this convoluted logic helps answer your quesion or not?

On my hard-use boots I actually prefer the top eyelets to do a logger knot that positively will not come untied.

On my casual boots I like being lazy and prefer the hooks on top. :laugh:

Last edited:

l33tcoder

Reaction score
MTO Packers in 1964 leather arrived today, and I am extremely pleased with them!

View attachment 1640101 View attachment 1640102 View attachment 1640103 View attachment 1640104

Ordered late April to take advantage of the 10% off introduction of the 1964 leather, and delivered today, so the process took about 11 weeks or so and was much quicker than I expected. These have double midsoles and the 1964 leather, but otherwise are a "stock" 10" build with 430 soles. The toe is a #2, a semi-pointed toe. Shuyler suggested I order the same size as I wear in the 25V Hot Shots, and it was good advice - I think the fit will be perfect after break-in.

Workmanship is excellent on these boots! Stitching is neat and even, with no missed stitches. No scars or scuffing except for some rubs from shipping. Heels and toes are symmetrical and even, nicely trimmed. Margins are perfect.

I REALLY like this leather, too - a nice mid-brown, and maybe a little softer to start with than oiltan leather. I will use these mostly as "casual/dress" boots, but I won't baby them, so I'm curious to see how the leather wears.

Only two things I'm slightly disappointed in - I had asked that the top eyelets be replaced by hooks. Shuyler told me he would put this in the notes, but thought it an unusual request and so was afraid it might be missed. And it was. But to be fair he was up-front about it, and I figured it didn't hurt to try. It's no big deal, but I wouldn't think this too tough to do on a MTO boot.

Second, a completely different, much darker leather was used for the tongue. I'm guessing they don't have a thinner 1964 leather to use for the tongue, maybe? I'm not a contrast kind of guy, so this was pretty surprising to me, again especially for a MTO boot. But, I don't wear these boots with shorts (hell, I NEVER wear shorts!), and I always put the kilties on after I get the tongue leather trained after a few wears. So no one will ever know, and it really doesn't make any difference.

Even with these two little glitches, I LOVE these boots, and am impressed with the new leather, the value, and the workmanship. I am tickled that Nick's offers a MTO program, that Shuyler was willing to answer my questions promptly and patiently, and that there are folks that still build great boots by hand for those of us that appreciate them!

Love these! Great make up and specifically the toe#2. BTW are the toes celastic or unstructured?

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

View attachment 1640101 View attachment 1640102 View attachment 1640103 View attachment 1640104

Sorry about the miss. For years we’ve used two kinds of gusset leather, black and brown. We are starting to skive down the boot leather into matching gussets for the heritage boots (packer would still be a work boot, so not there yet) to start, so look for that to roll out. We also just got color 8 in today so we will be pushing that for anyone interested.

They look great, and glad you’re happy with them overall. As always please let me know if you have any questions going forward!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads