• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

DG123

Reaction score
Hello Stylin’ Nicks Boots enthusiasts! Joined this forum so I can participate in this thread.

A lot of good information here! I am poised to purchase my first pair of Nicks but need a little help/sage advice to get over analysis paralysis. And yeah, I read this whole thread, and everything else I can find….

I have a high arch but low volume/low instep foot…in all of my footwear I am more comfortable with an insert that provides arch support and takes up volume in the shoe or boot. I am tired of being forced to watch “let’s see what insert will fit into this boot” and its dreaded sequel “Does the boot still fit”. I am looking to get a boot in the 55 or 67 last to avoid using inserts.

Am I correct in that the 55 last has a slightly lower instep height than the 67 last, and that the 55 last has a slightly wider toe box comparatively?

On the Brannock my left foot is 10.75D and my right is an 11 halfway between C and D in width. Heel to ball is 11 on both feet. In hiking boots I am an 11.5 in AKU and Oboz. I prefer these brands to Salomon or Merrell that have more tapered toe boxes.

After all this yapping…does a Robert in 10.5D sound reasonable?

My only experience with a stichdown constructed boot are my Gaerne motorcycle Trials boots which have been fantastic.

If you've worn any Red Wing, Wolverine, Alden or Allen Edmonds footwear posting your length size/width for those brands-models would likely be helpful here.
Also, you could order and try-on-for-size the 10.5D Urban Drifter model that Nicks currently lists as a ready-to-ship boot.

Peff

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! Oh yeah, should have thought about that. I have Allen Edmonds shoes in 11B that are the right length but are (unfortunately) too narrow...by at least a width.

Why the Urban drifter -- do you think it is a better choice than the Robert? Both are listed as Quick Ship -- is it the last the UL is with the HNW last, while the Robert in the 55.

DG123

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! Oh yeah, should have thought about that. I have Allen Edmonds shoes in 11B that are the right length but are (unfortunately) too narrow...by at least a width.

Why the Urban drifter -- do you think it is a better choice than the Robert? Both are listed as Quick Ship -- is it the last the UL is with the HNW last, while the Robert in the 55.

I suggested the 10.5D Urban Drifter because that pair is available for immediate shipment.

GGMeister

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am interested in making an order for Nick's boots and hoping you can offer advice on some issues:

Size: I measured as a 15B (left foot) on Brannock device, and my right foot is 14.5B using a midweight wool sock. I have a pair of Scarpa SL M in euro size 50 that have worked well, but Limmer Standards (with a tongue insert) in 15 are too short on the left foot. I wear 14B in dress shoes such as Allen Edmond and Alden. I have a 14B in the Indy boot that has worked well enough although I always wear dress socks with this and my Allen Edmonds. In Nike bball sneaks I wear a 15-16 (although it's been a while since I've hooped).

For the last, HNW seems like a safe bet for me since I've only ever worn off the shelf shoes. I may have a high arch but don't recall being told about it. Still, the 55 last and a slightly larger heel look interesting. So, the choice between the HNW and 55 last is a tough decision for me.

FWIW, I am looking at models that are 6" high (Falcon, Urban Drifter, Howard, Robert) as well as the Aldert Strider. It's difficult to choose and I shift back and forth on these.

Thanks for your advice!
Paul

shredwin206

Reaction score
@Nicks Boots Shuyler I was sent over here by Killian from fb since I was asking him so many things. He said maybe I could ask you directly on here. Ha
I’m a Union plumber here in Seattle out of the UA Local 32. Buying American is a must for me. I spend my money where I earn it. Buy American.
Anyways, I was curious why hasn’t Nicks tried to lock in the construction industry? They seem to post a lot of wild land fire posts and influencer posts but construction and the trades is one of the biggest industries and seems to get overlooked.
Is it because most construction workers are already loyal to red wing and thorogood?
I wear JK boots for work now and am buying some builder pros soon.
working here in Seattle my boots get drenched all the time. Is the water works the answer to trying to find a waterproof or more water resistant option for nicks boots compared to the standard leather?
sorry for the long post but am hoping you can answer a a few things I brought up.
keep up the great boots.

Last edited:

TyrLI

Reaction score
@Nicks Boots Shuyler I was sent over here by Killian from fb since I was asking him so many things. He said maybe I could ask you directly on here. Ha
I’m a Union plumber here in Seattle out of the UA Local 32. Buying American is a must for me. I spend my money where I earn it. Buy American.
Anyways, I was curious why hasn’t Nicks tried to lock in the construction industry? They seem to post a lot of wild land fire posts and influencer posts but construction and the trades is one of the biggest industries and seems to get overlooked.
I applied to your pro sale/affiliate program a while back and was denied, but feel like construction workers like myself would really put your boots to the test.
I am a pro sales/product tester for Filson since they launched their CCF workwear line I was testing that line for them in the construction world.
working here in Seattle my boots get drenched all the time. Is the water works the answer to trying to find a waterproof or more water resistant option for nicks boots compared to the standard leather?
sorry for the long post but am hoping you can answer a a few things I brought up.
keep up the great boots.
I mean, what else do you want? They have steel toe and composite toe boots, lots of work leather options, and moc toes with wedge soles if you want to recreate Redwing or thorgoods. I wear mine every day for construction and so do a lot of other people.

They market to wildland firefighters because firefighters get a boot stipend and they're based in forest fire country. Most construction workers won't spend $600 on work boots.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
I applied to your pro sale/affiliate program a while back and was denied, but feel like construction workers like myself would really put your boots to the test.
I am a pro sales/product tester for Filson since they launched their CCF workwear line I was testing that line for them in the construction world.
keep up the great boots.

Buy the boots, and wear them to work, whatever you do. It's that simple. My older fire boots always turned into my construction boots, anyway, and they work well in that capacity too.

Or are you just fishing for a free pair of boots?

shredwin206

Reaction score
@Woodtroll no I was honestly curious what the most waterproof option would be? Is it the waterworks?
Will they release a insulated boot? Similar to the JK Arctic?
I already have two pairs of JK, whites SJ, and I just got a pair of builder pros ordered today.

shredwin206

Reaction score
@TyrLI fair enough I was just curious. They seem to market a fair bit towards Moto, influencers, and their core market the wild land firefighters. why not work to get the construction crowd? Or is it because like you said most will stick to their cheap red wing and thorogood and aren’t worth the time?
I am not new to high end boots I have Jk, whites, and the nicks rebuilt perry boots.
was just speaking freely.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
keep up the great boots.
Hey, thanks for reaching out. The BuilderPro was basically an attempt to appeal more to the trades. This is a major priority (and probably 50% of our business at this point) so I’m surprised to hear you say it’s not an emphasis as it definitely is. We just got formal Electrical Hazard (EH) certification on Thursday and will be launching those models shortly, for example, so it’s always something we are working on.

The waterwork is designed to be the the most water-resistant and comes with the water-resistant leather that’s been impregnated with silicone. It has rubber as the midsole over leather, as well. This is basically designed off of testing through our Alaska-based firefighting teams who, ironically, deal with a lot of mud and standing water in their dry/hot seasons and we’re looking for solutions to water-proof the boots and make them more durable in high moisture situations.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am interested in making an order for Nick's boots and hoping you can offer advice on some issues:

Size: I measured as a 15B (left foot) on Brannock device, and my right foot is 14.5B using a midweight wool sock. I have a pair of Scarpa SL M in euro size 50 that have worked well, but Limmer Standards (with a tongue insert) in 15 are too short on the left foot. I wear 14B in dress shoes such as Allen Edmond and Alden. I have a 14B in the Indy boot that has worked well enough although I always wear dress socks with this and my Allen Edmonds. In Nike bball sneaks I wear a 15-16 (although it's been a while since I've hooped).

For the last, HNW seems like a safe bet for me since I've only ever worn off the shelf shoes. I may have a high arch but don't recall being told about it. Still, the 55 last and a slightly larger heel look interesting. So, the choice between the HNW and 55 last is a tough decision for me.

FWIW, I am looking at models that are 6" high (Falcon, Urban Drifter, Howard, Robert) as well as the Aldert Strider. It's difficult to choose and I shift back and forth on these.

Thanks for your advice!
Paul
Hmm. Have you done the tracings on our site?

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@TyrLI fair enough I was just curious. They seem to market a fair bit towards Moto, influencers, and their core market the wild land firefighters. why not work to get the construction crowd? Or is it because like you said most will stick to their cheap red wing and thorogood and aren’t worth the time?
I am not new to high end boots I have Jk, whites, and the nicks rebuilt perry boots.
You are the Perry rebuild guy? And you’re not gonna tell that story?

TyrLI

Reaction score
I've never seen them market to anyone in particular besides firefighters. They do a good job selling durability in general. The heritage crowd mostly seems to sell themselves on the boots; all they need is places like this or the facebook group or reddit where they feel they can make a direct connection with the brand and they're in.

For myself, I randomly stumbled on the rose anvil boot cutting and that got me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads