• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nice clothes look best on tall, slim/lean people...

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From a conversation with a SFer, Good tailoring will correct someone's shoulder but never the tummy.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All else being equal (and IRL, it never is), nice clothes look best if they fit well on whatever the happens to be the most (sub-)culturally accepted bodyshape, as that's the archetype we have filed away somewhere in our unconscious mind. I'm not convinced that's necessarily a slim person, but it probably is a tall and reasonably fit person. Tall and slim can look too lanky, depending on the exact proportions.

Of course other bodyshapes can still look good in tailored clothing too IMO.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

cnyman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I completely disagree on this notion. I'd rather imply that nice tailored clothes look best on people who carry themselves confidently, regardless of body type.

Londrestopo

Reaction score
Bueno,

Good evening StyleForum,

This is my first post here having signed up a few minutes ago after being a long time browser who has some pressing issues with regards to a new fashion venture.

First of all I'm 5'11, I have quite long legs in relation to a shortish torso with a very front heavy chest.

I'm looking to find a casual style that suits me on a day to day basis without looking over the top.

The colors that suit me are Navy's, Grey's, Dark Reds and Creams.

Ideally I like how Chino's feel but I've never had confidence or found the right shoes to wear without being too formal.

With regards to shirts they don't really suit me with my short torso whilst I prefer sweatshirts, jumpers or polo-necks.

I'm looking for an old fashioned classic style without looking to out of date or too flash.

Regards

Hector

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What pants do you currently have the confidence to wear?

Londrestopo

Reaction score
Hi KObalto,

Currently I'm wearing Jeans but I have quite thick thighs and they really don't look good on.

I'd be happy to wear dark chinos or trousers but nothing too formal given I'm a mature student.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I completely disagree on this notion. I'd rather imply that nice tailored clothes look best on people who carry themselves confidently, regardless of body type.

non tall, non slim person detected...
peepwall[1].gif

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ideally I like how Chino's feel but I've never had confidence or found the right shoes to wear without being too formal.
With regards to shirts they don't really suit me with my short torso whilst I prefer sweatshirts, jumpers or polo-necks.
I'm looking for an old fashioned classic style without looking to out of date or too flash.

I don't understand. How do Chinos change your confidence level from jeans? You already stated that the jeans don't look that good on you. If you have large thighs, pleats may be helpful for you. You have even mentioned the colors you like, Navy and Dark Grey are probably the most standard. J. Crew are my personal favorite for chinos and they have several fits. Dockers or Land's End also carry a good selection. Why not get these two chino colors and some burgundy shoes? Plain toe, bluchers. I can't give you a more standard look.

Also, what do you mean "shirts don't suit you"? Certain cuts may not be good for you, but I have yet to meet a person who couldn't pull off some form of dress shirt. If you insist, you can look at a variety of polo shirts on these forums or rugbys.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess thats why the models that wear the clothes look that way, right?

Slim suits look best on...slim people. If you're big and have a suit that fits nice/nicely tailored, it just doesnt look as good.

Don't know how I missed this gem of a thread. Please tell me more.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads