• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NHL 2010-2011 Season

corneliusparky

Reaction score
The awesome 82 games a year 30 goal sniper Tim Connoly has been signed by the leafs for 4.5 Mill a year. I mean the oft injured (lucky if you get 50 games) 40-50 point player. The Kings signed Simon Gagne for 3.5 a year and he's a similar player (with a lot more potential upside) but much better in the playoffs and more of a goal scorer. Jesus frickin christ....this league has gone to **** in a week. I'm not too happy the Ducks have done so little but, in the current climate, it looks kinda smart.

Remember the days when goalies were super important? Now a guy like Vokoun, a solid mid tier goalie, is only getting 1.5.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by corneliusparky
The awesome 82 games a year 30 goal sniper Tim Connoly has been signed by the leafs for 4.5 Mill a year. I mean the oft injured (lucky if you get 50 games) 40-50 point player. The Kings signed Simon Gagne for 3.5 a year and he's a similar player (with a lot more potential upside) but much better in the playoffs and more of a goal scorer. Jesus frickin christ....this league has gone to **** in a week. I'm not too happy the Ducks have done so little but, in the current climate, it looks kinda smart.

Remember the days when goalies were super important? Now a guy like Vokoun, a solid mid tier goalie, is only getting 1.5.

Leafs fans ridiculed the Erik Cole signing which, although a bit expensive, at least adressed a pressing need and made some sense based on his production. Then they give the thumbs up to the absolutely luridicrous signing of Tim Connolly, who probably injured himself signing the contract.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
Leafs fans ridiculed the Erik Cole signing which, although a bit expensive, at least adressed a pressing need and made some sense based on his production. Then they give the thumbs up to the absolutely luridicrous signing of Tim Connolly, who probably injured himself signing the contract.

laugh.gif

Awful signing. They overpaid for a player that will play 50-60 games a season.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
laugh.gif

Awful signing. They overpaid for a player that will play 50-60 games a season.

Generally I thought a lot of the "bad" deals signed yesterday weren't terrible considering that the cap is going up and that players always get paid a bit more in free agency. But this one, along with the Leino and Fleishmann signings, were all pretty damn bad.

Mr. Bananagrabber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
Generally I thought a lot of the "bad" deals signed yesterday weren't terrible considering that the cap is going up and that players always get paid a bit more in free agency. But this one, along with the Leino and Fleishmann signings, were all pretty damn bad.

Florida just threw silly money at anyone willing to answer their phone calls. I realize they have to get above the salary floor, but they signed like 10 guys. Fleishmann at 4.5 million, Jovanovski at 4, Upshall at 4, Kopecky at 3, Bergenheim, Theodore, Goc, Bradley, traded for Versteeg. Thats a ton of new hockey players, all pretty mediocre, and all signed for large chunks of money for multiple years.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Bananagrabber
Florida just threw silly money at anyone willing to answer their phone calls. I realize they have to get above the salary floor, but they signed like 10 guys. Fleishmann at 4.5 million, Jovanovski at 4, Upshall at 4, Kopecky at 3, Bergenheim, Theodore, Goc, Bradley, traded for Versteeg. Thats a ton of new hockey players, all pretty mediocre, and all signed for large chunks of money for multiple years.

I completely agree. They spent a ton of money and gave out some pretty bad contracts to go from bad to mediocre, in my opinion. We'll have to wait to see the on ice product but I doubt it will be much better than the sum of its parts.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Gagne signing was ludicrously cheap, even with the injury risk factored in.

I thought it was a good signing at a fair price. Based on his output this year there was no way he was getting similar money especially with his injuries.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fiasco
kings a contender after the simmons trade?

Yea for sure. The West has some really deep teams, but now LA has a healthy Kopitar, Richards, Gagne, Williams and Doughty. They are going to be tough to get some goals against them. Plus the fact that Gagne has played with both Williams and Richards on the Flyers means that the chemistry will be quickly reformed. They are going to have a top 5 PK in the 2011-2012 season for sure.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Rarely do I say this, but: the Leafs just made one HELL of a trade.

Yea, Lombardi had a breakout year and Franson is very young with big upside. Not bad. I think the Leafs will be hovering around that 8th playoff spot the entire season. They need Connolly to produce and gel with Kessel big time.

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
Yea, Lombardi had a breakout year and Franson is very young with big upside. Not bad. I think the Leafs will be hovering around that 8th playoff spot the entire season. They need Connolly to produce and gel with Kessel big time.

I think the Leafs might even be able to do a little better than 8th. I think they made one of the bests moves this off season but who know - I am always getting that stuff wrong.

I am not as convinced on the Washington movesThey had a p[retty good team but seemed to be missing a few elements. Maybe they have those now, I am just not sure?

Was also surprised to see Sturm get 2.2 Mil. He was basically let go for almost nothing twice last year before he did little for the Caps. He has been hurt a lot in the last 3 years so maybe the knee will be recovered next year. But before this crazy off season, you would think his current value would be less than 2.2. Then again, if he is recovered from the knee surgeries, maybe he can be a 20+ goal scorer again.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
4.5MM for Connolly is really paying too much. The man has insane hands, but he just can't stay healthy. I don't know what the Leafs needed, maybe somebody to help them on the PP? Connolly is strong as a forward playing the point in that manner, but still I would have expected 2.5-3.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads