• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NFL playoffs

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good theater so far. The Colts D was spectacular yesterday, and totally unexpected. Holding LJ to, what 33 yards?

Other comments: God must be a Seahawks fan, either that or BIll Parcells and Jerry Jones pissed Him off. Also: Jets are looking surprisingly good right now, yes they are down 17-10 as I write this, but they are gouging holes in the Patriots' defense, which is suprising. I don't think of Chad Pennington and impressive drives in the same sentence.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm just hoping the Giants can keep it together for today's game. Tiki needs to be the focus.

I wish we had Toomer
frown.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
God knows that the referees owe us a Superbowl.

GO 'HAWKS!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Giants are doing a great job on defense. Offense...it's a tad lackluster, but they're still in this.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think its more or less over for the Giants/Tiki, Eagles are already in FG range.

Edit: Thanks for the memories, Tiki.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My predictions:

Divisional Round:
AFC:
Pats over Chargers
Baltimore over Colts

NFC:
Seahawks over Bears
Saints over Eagles

Conference Championships:

Pats over Ravens
Saints over Seahawks

Super Bowl:
Pats over Saints

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't see the Pats beating San Diego. LT is simply too good.

Originally Posted by drizzt3117
My predictions:

Divisional Round:
AFC:
Pats over Chargers
Baltimore over Colts

NFC:
Seahawks over Bears
Saints over Eagles

Conference Championships:

Pats over Ravens
Saints over Seahawks

Super Bowl:
Pats over Saints

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the chargers win the super bowl, you will have to consider LT as the greatest football player ever. Any man who overcomes the coaching of Marty Schottenheimer is truly special.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I don't see the Pats beating San Diego. LT is simply too good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Schottenheimer
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Schottenheimer's success in the regular season combined with his disappointing record in post-season play has led some pundits to label him as a coach who "can't win in the playoffs." The January 8, 2005 loss to the Jets brought his career playoff record to 5-12 (.294). In his 12 post-season appearances, Schottenheimer's teams have failed to win a playoff game eight times and a Schottenheimer coached team has not won a playoff game since the 1993 season.
Bill Belichick is 12-2 in the playoffs with three Super Bowl wins including one against the St. Louis Rams which were a far better team than this year's Chargers and don't have the liability of Schotteheimer.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good call on Belichick. The guy is just an amazing coach. They have Bruschi back now fully healthy. I would love to see the Colts knock off the Ravens (It ain't gonna happen) and the Pats beat the Chargers to set up another Colts - Pats matchup. This time it would be in Indy. The story lines would be great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Schottenheimer

Bill Belichick is 12-2 in the playoffs with three Super Bowl wins including one against the St. Louis Rams which were a far better team than this year's Chargers and don't have the liability of Schotteheimer.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Schottenheimer is vastly underrated. The man can coach (as his regular season record would attest). I expect him to learn from past mistakes and steer away from the infamous "Marty ball" game plan and/or the Chargers vaunted line-up to rectify any bad calls.

Hmm.. and I thought I was a Patriots fan.

PS: Good game by the Giants yesterday BTW. Only if they had someone more reliable than Eli at QB.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
I think Schottenheimer is vastly underrated. The man can coach (as his regular season record would attest). I expect him to learn from past mistakes and steer away from the infamous "Marty ball" game plan and/or the Chargers vaunted line-up to rectify any bad calls.
Dennis Green and Mike Martz both went 15-1 in the regular season. Would you want them coaching your team in the divisional round against Belichick? How much strategy is there in "hand the ball off to your stud RB"? When that's taken away and SD has to beat someone through the air with a first year starter, against the NFL's leader in interceptions (Asante Samuel) then we'll see what happens.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dennis Green and Mike Martz both went 15-1 in the regular season. Would you want them coaching your team in the divisional round against Belichick?

How much strategy is there in "hand the ball off to your stud RB"? When that's taken away and SD has to beat someone through the air with a first year starter, against the NFL's leader in interceptions (Asante Samuel) then we'll see what happens.

I beg to differ. While Dennis Green and Mike Martz each got a few nice seasons under their belt, Marty Schottenheimer has been kickin' it for 20 years. His regular season record, 200-126 (.613), as Peter King of SI pointed out, compares favorably to that of Tom Landry and Chuck Noll. The man hasn't been nearly successful in the postseason, but it's hard not to feel he's way overdue.

Also, per Wikipedia, his pro coaching tree includes venerable names such as Bill Cowher, Gunter Cunningham, Tony Dungy and Herman Edwards. He must be doing something right, don't you think?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
I beg to differ. While Dennis Green and Mike Martz each got a few nice seasons under their belt, Marty Schottenheimer has been kickin' it for 20 years. His regular season record, 200-126 (.613), as Peter King of SI pointed out, compares favorably to that of Tom Landry and Chuck Noll. The man hasn't been nearly successful in the postseason, but it's hard not to feel he's way overdue. Also, per Wikipedia, his pro coaching tree includes venerable names such as Bill Cowher, Gunter Cunningham, Tony Dungy and Herman Edwards. He must be doing something right, don't you think?
Anyone can win in the regular season with the right talent. It's all about who takes home the trophies. You're kidding yourself if you think Dan Marino or Peyton Manning wouldn't trade all of their stats for one of Tom Brady's Super Bowl rings. 2-12 isn't unsuccessful, it's horrendous. Most people who fail 12 times out of 14 are fired, which is why Schottenheimer isn't coaching in Washington, Cleveland, or Kansas City anymore. Why do you think people were discussing Tony Dungy being on the hotseat with the Colts. Hint, it isn't because of his regular season performance, which has been exemplary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads