Newbie needs some revamping....please help!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lordkovacs, Jun 6, 2004.

1. lordkovacs

lordkovacs Member

Hi all. I've been reading this board for a little while now, and thought I'd post. I have just recently become interested in dressing "in-style". Most of my life I just wore jeans and a golf shirt, but with my new career and lifestyle, I need to be dressing much better.

Please help me.

Here's my situation...

I'm an elementary school teacher, and have a lot of teacher friends. I am 5'11'', 220lbs., more pear shaped. I cut my hair very close (I'm slightly balding). When I go out, I usually go to coffee houses, nice pubs, etc.

I'm hoping that some of you can help me with what style, colours, patterns, types, cuts, materials, etc. that I should be looking to buy. I just don't know how to dress based on my physical dimensions. I need pants and shirts, and maybe another pair of shoes.

Alll the best, and thank you kindly.

Mike

2. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

What color hair, eyes, and complexion do you have?

Are you here in the States, or do you live somewhere else?

3. lordkovacs

lordkovacs Member

i am eastern european in background (Hungarian), though born in Canada. I live in Toronto. I have green eyes. blonde hair, though I cut it very close.

Thanks...
    MIKE

4. acole

acole Senior member

Best thing would be to post a well-lit head shot. To nail down colors you have to really analyze yourself. Â Is your hair light blond, or darker? Â Warm/golden, or ashy/silvery? Â Skin: very fair, ruddy, or olive? Â Does your skin tone tend more toward warm/peach/bronze or toward ivory/bluish-pink? Â Are your eyes dark overall, or greyish-bright? Â In general, do you see a lot of light vs. dark contrast when you look in a mirror, or are the contrasts pretty subtle? Â Do you have any favorite colors you especially like to wear, or for which you receive compliments? Any that make you look washed-out or ill? You might also look at the color coordination articles over at Andy Gilchrist's site...he's got a couple of different takes on the theory.

5. lordkovacs

lordkovacs Member

complitments usually come my way when wearing earthy tones and mid-dark blue. My hair is a medium brown, and my eyes are green, though some people see some grey in them. My skin is certainly not pale...i usually look somewhat tanned year-long.

Thanks...
    MIKE

6. Rudder

Rudder Member

lordkovacs - I have an unusual proposition for you. I'm in Toronto until the end of the month and I'd be glad to help you out in person, pro bono.

My credentials? Well, I had 80% of my wardrobe stolen a couple of years ago and spent between $20,000 and 30,000 on clothes in the past three years. So I do have tons of experience shopping for properly fitted and coordinated clothes.

In case you're wondering, I'm not gay, don't work on commission and don't have any other hidden agenda. I just like an excuse to shop and see other people feel confident about their look.

Contact me via this Web site if you're interested. Otherwise, I'll send you a lengthy reply to your other posts about shops in Toronto later this week.

Charles

7. lordkovacs

lordkovacs Member

I will keep your info. handy and drop you a line. As aforementioned, I am a teacher. We are just now starting report cards and interviews.

Thanks so much for your offer. If I get some time, I will email you. That's very kind of you.

Thanks,

MiKE

8. ernest

ernest Senior member

What would it have changed if you had been gay?

Do you think gays people need to cruise bad dressed, bald guy on a website to find a boyfriend? Seriously?

9. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Clearly, he didn't want lordkovacs to think that he was trying to pick him up.

10. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Mike:

Thanks for the thanks on the PM. And I'd take Rudder's offer on shopping. Sorry it took so long to reply. I keep getting this error message when I try to send a PM...

Steve