• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Young Professional, Lots of Help Needed

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So if it's raining you wear a "beater" shoe to a law office? 
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

I would also wear a raincoat.

Snedley

Reaction score
Do not question Snidely.
Maybe curmudgeonly, but not bad advice.
OP, you might want to get some navy and burgundy ties. They could be solid, repp stripes, or small figures. Steve Smith has some good deals on BB shirts and suits and shoes on B&S. Based on your description of your build, slim fit is probably the way to go. The classic fit will probably be baggy on you.
He's 200 lbs. The classic fit is good for the average weight Man. The Traditional is the fullest.

Snedley

Reaction score
Thank you for clicking on my thread, I thank you in advance for any advice given. I am a 25 year old recent law school grad that will be starting as a full-time lawyer in the fall. My firm is very conservative and requires that I where I suit everyday. I already have a few suits but will obviously need to step my game up come fall. I have recently been trying to dress better and learn about what goes into looking sharp and professional.

Important stuff (feel free to tell me to add more info if needed)
  • 6'1 195-200lbs, athletic build.
  • I have 3 "acceptable" suits currently, all from Jos A Banks, 1 black, 1 charcoal, 1 navy.
  • I have approximately 5 white, 2 light blue, 1 darker blue, and 1 checkered collared shirts. I feel all of them are too "wide" and look way too big on me.
  • 1 pair of black cole hahn shoes.
  • 1 cheapo stainless steel watch.
  • Ties in basic colors: yellow, red, blue, black (a few of each).

My main questions are this:

1) What color suits should I add? I am thinking of getting another round of black, charcoal, navy but in flat-fronts this time. I'd prefer to branch out a bit from Jos A Banks but don't even know where to start and would prefer to get all 3 for under $1000. I am not brand conscious and my main concerns are fit and durability.

2) What is the best thing to do about shirts - better to get customs or buy off the rack and have them tailored? How many should I get? What is the appropriate lifespan of a dress shirt? What about shirts that I can just wash at home to save on dry cleaning?

3) Where/what would be a good stainless steel watch for $150-200? I don't care about brands but it should look professional.

4) Should I get a 2nd pair of shoes? If so, another black pair?
Just dress like this and you'll fit into any law office. btw, he wears Cole Haan shoes. When you go to work you're wearing a uniform and not attending some GQ gay boy's cocktail party.

McCain is wealthier so

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/john_mccain_wears_nice_shoes/

Bloomberg a working class kid from Mass. who got wealthy wears these

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/mike_an_old_sole_j0woHBJiIM8dIT0UuOdK4L

SMatthews

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Rather than ask questions, why not try the '101' help option at the top of the page? When you have done that try search, all these questions have been asked MANY, MANY times and do not improve with being asked again.
Yes, the search tool does work.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Extra SF at BB is for people with no chest muscle or shoulders. IF he is athletic they will be very uncomfortable and tight in the chest no matter his neck size.

I am 5'11'' 175 and a runner (not a ton of chest muscle) and the XSF shirts in 15 and 15 1/2 were bowing out and popping at the chest.

They need to redesign that shirt.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Extra SF at BB is for people with no chest muscle or shoulders. IF he is athletic they will be very uncomfortable and tight in the chest no matter his neck size.
I am 5'11'' 175 and a runner (not a ton of chest muscle) and the XSF shirts in 15 and 15 1/2 were bowing out and popping at the chest.
They need to redesign that shirt.
Just because you can't fit in it doesn't mean it needs to be redesigned. Wear a slim fit instead. I have wide shoulders and a bit of chest muscle, but XSF shirts are too baggy on me (size16.5). A lot of it has to do with your neck thickness. If someone with your build but a more muscular/thicker neck wore an XSF shirt in 16, it might fit just fine.

dirkweems

Reaction score
From your original post it seems like you thought about your suits when your purchased the basic colours, as well as when you bought sensible shirts. Now that you are no longer a student and can likely afford better quality clothing, you will no doubt look better.

Not sure where you live, but definitely go MTM on your first batch of new suits. Buy one every 2 or 3 months for the next 3 (cash flow and finding something that works). Sme of the advice given is good and you need to find what works for you. You may want nicer clothes and to look more professional, but couldn't be arsed to spend as much time and effort as some people on SF.

As for a watch, there are 2 types of people, watch people and others people. Clearly you don't. Are about watches, and there is nothing wrong with that. You probably couldn't care less about spending money on a watch. Keep your watch simple. Try this. Google Patek Philippe Calatrava 5127J. Take a good look at this watch. Simple, elegant, refined, timeeless and a classic. Now go to the Timex website and you will find a very similar watch. Buy that. I have a big collection of Rolex and Patek Philippe's and have more respect for someone who wears a reasonable value brand instead of some massive 44mm mid-priced monstrosity. Think hard about a leather strap. Leather needs to be replaced every 12 months, and on a value brand watch, it could be a pain. Leather straps suffer in heat and humidity.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just because you can't fit in it doesn't mean it needs to be redesigned. Wear a slim fit instead. I have wide shoulders and a bit of chest muscle, but XSF shirts are too baggy on me (size16.5). A lot of it has to do with your neck thickness. If someone with your build but a more muscular/thicker neck wore an XSF shirt in 16, it might fit just fine.

Sorry I was being a bit dramatic for comedic effect. I just find it funny, in previous threads, when we discussed these shirts it seems like everyone has something that doesn't work (i.e. chest too tight, shoulders too small, waist too big) that we were kind of confused as to who BB was cutting the shirt for. I think the XSF needs to be a bit wider in the chest and more tapered in the waist. That is what I meant to say. Of course, you can never expect OTR to be made for you but I think it would be better for everyone if they did it like that.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP - after getting down the basics, I shot for buying 1 or 2 suits per year. When I first started wearing suits I went for a 5suit rotation - navy solid, charcoal solid, medium grey, navy pinstripe, brown (I iiked it a la Ronald Reagan, sue me). Then for my 1 or 2 per year I'd add something different in design (like a glen plaid) or fabric (summer suit, winter suit). Don't forget a few sport coats if you are allowed to wear them on Fridays.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads