Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New Young Professional, Lots of Help Needed

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TryingToSuitUp, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

yeah...ok

2. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

;)

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I would also wear a raincoat.

4. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

How old are you? Where do you live? Post a pic of yourself in both a suit and casual clothes. Let's see what you look like because that's how I judge a person's advice [​IMG]

5. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

He's 200 lbs. The classic fit is good for the average weight Man. The Traditional is the fullest.

6. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

Just dress like this and you'll fit into any law office. btw, he wears Cole Haan shoes. When you go to work you're wearing a uniform and not attending some GQ gay boy's cocktail party.

McCain is wealthier so

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/john_mccain_wears_nice_shoes/

Bloomberg a working class kid from Mass. who got wealthy wears these

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/mike_an_old_sole_j0woHBJiIM8dIT0UuOdK4L

7. SMatthews

SMatthews Well-Known Member

Yes, the search tool does work.

8. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

Curmudgeonly? Hey I'm auditioning for a part in Grumpy Old Men III with Micky Rourke [​IMG]

9. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

The Extra SF at BB is for people with no chest muscle or shoulders. IF he is athletic they will be very uncomfortable and tight in the chest no matter his neck size.

I am 5'11'' 175 and a runner (not a ton of chest muscle) and the XSF shirts in 15 and 15 1/2 were bowing out and popping at the chest.

They need to redesign that shirt.

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Just because you can't fit in it doesn't mean it needs to be redesigned. Wear a slim fit instead. I have wide shoulders and a bit of chest muscle, but XSF shirts are too baggy on me (size16.5). A lot of it has to do with your neck thickness. If someone with your build but a more muscular/thicker neck wore an XSF shirt in 16, it might fit just fine.

11. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

He said he's an athletic 200lbs, not a fat 200lbs.

12. dirkweems

dirkweems Well-Known Member

From your original post it seems like you thought about your suits when your purchased the basic colours, as well as when you bought sensible shirts. Now that you are no longer a student and can likely afford better quality clothing, you will no doubt look better.

Not sure where you live, but definitely go MTM on your first batch of new suits. Buy one every 2 or 3 months for the next 3 (cash flow and finding something that works). Sme of the advice given is good and you need to find what works for you. You may want nicer clothes and to look more professional, but couldn't be arsed to spend as much time and effort as some people on SF.

As for a watch, there are 2 types of people, watch people and others people. Clearly you don't. Are about watches, and there is nothing wrong with that. You probably couldn't care less about spending money on a watch. Keep your watch simple. Try this. Google Patek Philippe Calatrava 5127J. Take a good look at this watch. Simple, elegant, refined, timeeless and a classic. Now go to the Timex website and you will find a very similar watch. Buy that. I have a big collection of Rolex and Patek Philippe's and have more respect for someone who wears a reasonable value brand instead of some massive 44mm mid-priced monstrosity. Think hard about a leather strap. Leather needs to be replaced every 12 months, and on a value brand watch, it could be a pain. Leather straps suffer in heat and humidity.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

+1. I'm comparable to OP's size (6'2, 190 pounds) and the BB slim fit works well for me. I also find the Nordstrom and John W. Nordstrom trim fit shirts to be a great fit as well.

14. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Sorry I was being a bit dramatic for comedic effect. I just find it funny, in previous threads, when we discussed these shirts it seems like everyone has something that doesn't work (i.e. chest too tight, shoulders too small, waist too big) that we were kind of confused as to who BB was cutting the shirt for. I think the XSF needs to be a bit wider in the chest and more tapered in the waist. That is what I meant to say. Of course, you can never expect OTR to be made for you but I think it would be better for everyone if they did it like that.

15. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

OP - after getting down the basics, I shot for buying 1 or 2 suits per year. When I first started wearing suits I went for a 5suit rotation - navy solid, charcoal solid, medium grey, navy pinstripe, brown (I iiked it a la Ronald Reagan, sue me). Then for my 1 or 2 per year I'd add something different in design (like a glen plaid) or fabric (summer suit, winter suit). Don't forget a few sport coats if you are allowed to wear them on Fridays.