• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York Michelin Starred Restaurants

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I do. I don't know which would be worse. A weird idea executed well, or a good idea executed poorly. Maybe a weird idea executed weirdly.

i've had weird ideas executed well at The Fat Duck. Plenty of gimmicks there, but those weird ideas did a lot to strengthen the key ingredients in the food. At B-F, several of the preparations i thought totally overwhelmed the key ingredients present, which was a real shame if it was a stretch of an idea, and an even bigger shame if that was the intent.

Last edited:

dabestspoona

Reaction score
Speaking fo weird ideas, ate at Atera, around the same week as a few other folks here and we absolutely hated it.

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i've had weird ideas executed well at The Fat Duck. Plenty of gimmicks there, but those weird ideas did a lot to strengthen the key ingredients in the food. At B-F, several of the preparations i thought totally overwhelmed the key ingredients present, which was a real shame if it was a stretch of an idea, and an even bigger shame if that was the intent.

I can appreciate cleverness in cooking. Blumenthal is in another league, obviously, but sometimes it goes too far. I disliked the food I ate at Corton for that reason. It was much too cerebral, and I felt as though I was eating someones fourth grade art project rather than actual food. I find simplicity, both in concept and preparation, is the most reliable and consistent theme of excellent cooking.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I can appreciate cleverness in cooking. Blumenthal is in another league, obviously, but sometimes it goes too far. I disliked the food I ate at Corton for that reason. It was much too cerebral, and I felt as though I was eating someones fourth grade art project rather than actual food. I find simplicity, both in concept and preparation, is the most reliable and consistent theme of excellent cooking.

i suppose the only thing about Blumenthal is many of his ideas were from years ago. I was there in 2010, and even then plenty of those ideas were quite old. A bit different from this "we cook what we can find or forage" idea.

I thought of Corton as somewhat similar to Bras in many ways.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought of Corton as somewhat similar to Bras in many ways.

Never been to Bras. It is obvious Liebrandt is largely influenced by him. There are the originals, and then there are the copies. Not to go too philosophical, but if it is to be truly good, it has to come from within. I think he does a fine interpretation, I'm just not convinced that is entirely him, or if it is what he is trying to be.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i mean, i don't agree with that, but so it goes. Have you seen the recent Bras documentary? It's worth a look, and last i knew was on itunes.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I watched it. It was okay. Also watched the Liebrandt documentary and found him to be a pompous twat.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dadayosang

Reaction score
I remembering seeing his restaurant in a NY Times story about the city's best hamburgers.
17.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads