1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New York Michelin Starred Restaurants

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by von Rothbart, Jan 9, 2010.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i've had weird ideas executed well at The Fat Duck. Plenty of gimmicks there, but those weird ideas did a lot to strengthen the key ingredients in the food. At B-F, several of the preparations i thought totally overwhelmed the key ingredients present, which was a real shame if it was a stretch of an idea, and an even bigger shame if that was the intent.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. dabestspoona

dabestspoona Active Member

Speaking fo weird ideas, ate at Atera, around the same week as a few other folks here and we absolutely hated it.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Did you see any unshorn beaver?

4. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I can appreciate cleverness in cooking. Blumenthal is in another league, obviously, but sometimes it goes too far. I disliked the food I ate at Corton for that reason. It was much too cerebral, and I felt as though I was eating someones fourth grade art project rather than actual food. I find simplicity, both in concept and preparation, is the most reliable and consistent theme of excellent cooking.

5. dabestspoona

dabestspoona Active Member

I did see a old beaver. My wife flashed hers as well.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i suppose the only thing about Blumenthal is many of his ideas were from years ago. I was there in 2010, and even then plenty of those ideas were quite old. A bit different from this "we cook what we can find or forage" idea.

I thought of Corton as somewhat similar to Bras in many ways.

7. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Never been to Bras. It is obvious Liebrandt is largely influenced by him. There are the originals, and then there are the copies. Not to go too philosophical, but if it is to be truly good, it has to come from within. I think he does a fine interpretation, I'm just not convinced that is entirely him, or if it is what he is trying to be.

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i mean, i don't agree with that, but so it goes. Have you seen the recent Bras documentary? It's worth a look, and last i knew was on itunes.

9. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Yeah, I watched it. It was okay. Also watched the Liebrandt documentary and found him to be a pompous twat.

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

try working in finance. or architecture.

11. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

12. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

3 people like this.
  13. dadayosang

dadayosang New Member

I remembering seeing his restaurant in a NY Times story about the city's best hamburgers.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013