• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York Michelin Starred Restaurants

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'd say EMP/Blue Hill probably should get two stars each; Jean Georges and Le Bernadin three. And that is about it.
And for cities with more than 2-3 - Tokyo is probably it. Better French than Paris (better everything than everywhere)

Sorry, but this makes no sense. I mean, I agree NY food is generally overrated, but you wouldn't be able to limit Paris to 2-3 3 star restaurants right now without using some awfully strange criteria. Nor would you want to. Tokyo may have better French food than Paris, but that opinion doesn't have any bearing on the individual restaurants in Paris, which are what are ranked.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry, but this makes no sense. I mean, I agree NY food is generally overrated, but you wouldn't be able to limit Paris to 2-3 3 star restaurants right now without using some awfully strange criteria. Nor would you want to. Tokyo may have better French food than Paris, but that opinion doesn't have any bearing on the individual restaurants in Paris, which are what are ranked.

I think that there are a couple of great restaurants, a few good restaurants and a ton of overrated restaurants that shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath.

The other comment about Tokyo was to address an earlier statement about there only being 2-3 good places to eat in a city. There are definitely more than that in Tokyo at the high end.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think that there are a couple of great restaurants, a few good restaurants and a ton of overrated restaurants that shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath..

I am assuming you mean in New York. I haven't eaten enough in New York to judge.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK - when we started this thread I was railing against how opaque and arbitrary these ratings are. My major complaint is that they are of little value to me in selecting a restaurant. There are no surprises, and I have little understanding of what differentiates a 2 star from a 3 star or a 1 star.

But putting FEWER restaurants on the list would make it even less useful. If you showed me a list that said "Le Bernardin, Per Se, EMP", I'd say.. No **** dumbass - I didn't just fall off a turnip truck.

Remember. .... these things are published to sell guide books. There's gotta be a little discussion, controversy, etc. or it's worthless.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK - when we started this thread I was railing against how opaque and arbitrary these ratings are. My major complaint is that they are of little value to me in selecting a restaurant. There are no surprises, and I have little understanding of what differentiates a 2 star from a 3 star or a 1 star.
But putting FEWER restaurants on the list would make it even less useful. If you showed me a list that said "Le Bernardin, Per Se, EMP", I'd say.. No **** dumbass - I didn't just fall off a turnip truck.
Remember. .... these things are published to sell guide books. There's gotta be a little discussion, controversy, etc. or it's worthless.

I guess it is just the lack of granularity with three stars since even within those rankings there is a ton of variation. Frankly I wish they would just have the balls to out and out rank the top 100 restaurants in order in every city and then globally.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those lists of top 50, 100 whatever are ridiculous. You can't successfully rank that way, but you can group, and if your audience has some familiarity with the levels they generally understand what they are getting. So it isn't balls, but sense that keeps most publications from making silly lists like that.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Of the small handful of 3* places I ate at this year in Japan, Hong Kong, Macau, and New York so far, only EMP really fell short of expectations; the rest were well made, nice food that was reasonably connectable to their restaurant's identity, served well with hospitality, and the ingredients and service were of quality. I include Sukiyabashi Jiro in that, because he did technically qualify for all of those facets despite being the Flash and one of the most expensive per minute meals I'll ever have at something like $800 for 20 minutes of dining. I liked the service at Le Bernadin, did not like the couple wait staff I had at EMP, though we were given a tour of the kitchen and Humm schmoozed with us momentarily.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Of the small handful of 3* places I ate at this year in Japan, Hong Kong, Macau, and New York so far, only EMP really fell short of expectations; the rest were well made, nice food that was reasonably connectable to their restaurant's identity, served well with hospitality, and the ingredients and service were of quality. I include Sukiyabashi Jiro in that, because he did technically qualify for all of those facets despite being the Flash and one of the most expensive per minute meals I'll ever have at something like $800 for 20 minutes of dining. I liked the service at Le Bernadin, did not like the couple wait staff I had at EMP, though we were given a tour of the kitchen and Humm schmoozed with us momentarily.

Did you get the carrot tartare?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I got the slightly chubby passive aggressive sommelier

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be honest, EMP has been declining... Maybe it is the focus on NoMad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads