• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York, 10:00pm on a Thursday.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So that's where I'll be and I am wondering what to do for a few hours in the City? Will have just caught a show and probably won't feel like hitting the hay that early. Show's near Times, hotel's in Chelsea. Any thoughts?

Regards,
Huntsman

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Head over to Rice to Riches for some damn good rice pudding - that's what I would do. You could take a walk through the village to get there and see the sites.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Head over to Rice to Riches for some damn good rice pudding - that's what I would do. You could take a walk through the village to get there and see the sites.

That's such a New Jersey answer.

If the weather is nice, you could go to MÃ
00a9.png
Bar. It's on 32nd between Broadway and 5th, on the roof of (seriously) La Quinta hotel. Actually a decent pleasant place to grab a drink, with an amazing view of the Empire State building.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know where the Times Hotel is in Chelsea but if it's a hot summer night, there are several places where you could go for a drink and people watching: Cabana at the Maritime Hotel or the rooftop bar at the Gansevoort (warning: both can be quite meat market on weekends and Thursday); White Horse Tavern down on Hudson St is more mellow and a place with an interesting history; so is the Chelsea Hotel (with its Star Lounge bar). The Spotted Pig is another place where you can grab a drink (and a bite) and not have to endure the meat market atmosphere

If you want to crank up the party, there are dozens of clubs in the area

If you don't want to drink or party, you can always go for a walk along the Hudson all the way down to Tribeca

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
That's such a New Jersey answer.

If the weather is nice, you could go to MÃ
00a9.png
Bar. It's on 32nd between Broadway and 5th, on the roof of (seriously) La Quinta hotel. Actually a decent pleasant place to grab a drink, with an amazing view of the Empire State building.

What can I say - we don't have rice pudding that good anywhere in Jersey.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Head over to Rice to Riches for some damn good rice pudding - that's what I would do.

Jersey answer or not, I'm all over this the next time I'm in the area. One of my favorite desserts!
tounge.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cocktail at grill of Rainbow Room, or at the Algonquin.

Did both last week.

One feels very cosmopolitan.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like I'll hit one of gdl's places Thursday night -- interesting and thanks -- then to bed, breakfast, perhaps at Les Halles, some shopping/walkabout, lunch at perhaps Les Halles, Taste, or Cafe Boulad, the afternoon and early evening at the Met, a drink or several at Bemelmen's, and a train to my awaiting car.

Will check the thread if any other ideas fertilize...

Regards,
Huntsman

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This was, in fact, a serious contender -- I love rice pudding.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
If you go to Rice to Riches for desert and you still want a drink head a few streets over (too lazy to look it up) to Public. Good drinks, variety of people and the space is killer (I think it just came out in a restaurant interior design book a la Assouline/Taschen/etc).

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I've also been wanting to try P.ong which is a Desert Restaurant.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rice to riches hurts my wallet. But if you go, get the tiramisu flavor if they have it, and then go as far north as you can because there's nothing to do anywhere near there at that time. Unless, getting some bubble tea in china town is a considerable option.

Somewhere in this thread Spotted Pig was mentioned. Yummy food. Can't really go wrong with anything on the menu there. This is my standby burger (don't get me wrong, its a gastropub, not a burger place) for whenever shake shack is not an option

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
Rice to riches hurts my wallet. But if you go, get the tiramisu flavor if they have it, and then go as far north as you can because there's nothing to do anywhere near there at that time. Unless, getting some bubble tea in china town is a considerable option.
Are we talking about Rice to Riches in Nolita? There are actually tons to do in that area at night. You can go to a regular bar (I'd recommend Sweet & Vicious right down the street on Spring St because they have a garden/courtyard; but there are others like Vig or plenty a little bit further east), one of the restaurants/bar (Public was mentioned above and it's a good idea, right around the corner on Elizabeth St) or you can try going to the hippest club in the city right now, The Box, which is right around the corner on the Bowery and is supposed to be crazy - it's a mix of club and old-school cabaret with lots of strange on stage performance, from tap-dancing to a woman who linp-syncs on stage (except not with her mouth... ). Or you can try your luck getting into the Bowery Hotel for a drink there (tough door though)

Really lots to do at night in Nolita and a bit further east in the Lower East Side - just don't go west to Soho as nightlife in Soho is rather lame on average

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for suggestion as well: Staying at Millenium UN Plaza , corner of 1st Ave and east 44th street, between 1ts and 2nd Avenues.
Good food ,night life options in that area withing a 30 min walk?

Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads