• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New type of denim garment, like nothing you've seen before!

Chris Benson

Reaction score
Traveled out to Toronto this past weekend with work. While at the hotel I happened upon a advert for a local Scottish store up the road a wee ways. Since I'm Scottish desent and needed a new Sporran (little purse thing that hangs in front) I drove up there to pick one up.

While there, the shop which sells custom made kilts and other highland gear I saw their store version of a utility kilt. Most of you have no idea what this is so I'll provide a link to "name brand" version of what they had there.

http://www.utilikilts.com/index.php?page_id=28

The more I looked at these kilts the more I liked them. So I got the store attendent to measure me up for a Bilt Kilt. The beauty of this is I can customize it exactly the way I like. So the kilt I got is all black with white stiching. On the back of the kilt I'm getting two back pockets kind of like jeans with two designs on the pockets. One is my family's clan crest (also have a tattoo of this) as well as many other smaller little details.

I plan on wearing this when I get it, out to social events, parties, and such.

Yeah I'm sure some of you guys might be laughing at the thought of someone wearing a kilt out in public at events other than Scottish dinners and weddings and so forth.

Let me tell you a little story, few weeks ago I went on a pub crawl with a few people I know. We went to a high end club in my home city. The women in this club all look like they just stepped out of a Playboy magazine!
inlove.gif
I decided to wear my traditional wool kilt, with a trendy shirt and a mix of traditional and trendy modern items.
Well, I danced alot that night and had on three seperate occiasions had beautiful and I mean beautiful women approach me and ask if they could get their picture taken with me. All of the women snuggled right into my arms for the picture. The thing is, all the guys in the club looked exactly the same, ultra trendy clothing. Which is fine and good, but off all the guys in that club I was the only one who looked different. Even had some of the guys come up to me and compliment me on wearing the kilt.

So for all those doubters, when was the last time a beautiful came up to you and made the first move?!
laugh.gif
Wearing a kilt out in public isn't a bad thing, trust me!!

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just because someone is going to ask: is it selvage? Edit: to add, Utilikilts are actually fairly popular in the northwest and Seattle, and I their main offices and store are in the Pioneer Square neighborhood. Edit 2x: I see they have a Tuxedo kilt now.
laugh.gif

Sauwan

Reaction score
Without the plaid, I bet it will look incredibly feminine to most. It looks very feminine to me on their model. But, if you like it, go for it. Do what works for you.

Edit: Even the buttons are in a V shape which historically symbolizes the womb. Are you sure this is a mens garment?

Edit 2: Well it definitely is a mens garment. Just not something I would even consider wearing. Best of luck to ya.

Chris Benson

Reaction score
Normally a sporran is worn with a kilt, in a normal kilt there are no pockets. So the sporran is used to store your stuff. When I do wear the utility kilt I plan on wearing a sporran with it also. Just so it looks more like a traditional kilt.

I would wear a few traditional things that would identify that this is a kilt. It's the type of thing I wouldn't wear on a average day. Just when I go out, or when I'm down at the cabin.

Crispus Crimson

Reaction score
Usually the people I see wearing Utilikilts look like the last ones you would mess with. I see a lot of beefy guys, with maybe a pit bull at the end of a rope, walking around in them.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris Benson
Let me tell you a little story, few weeks ago I went on a pub crawl with a few people I know. We went to a high end club in my home city. The women in this club all look like they just stepped out of a Playboy magazine!
inlove.gif
I decided to wear my traditional wool kilt, with a trendy shirt and a mix of traditional and trendy modern items.
Well, I danced alot that night and had on three seperate occiasions had beautiful and I mean beautiful women approach me and ask if they could get their picture taken with me. All of the women snuggled right into my arms for the picture.

memento.jpg

hi-val

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crispus Crimson
Usually the people I see wearing Utilikilts look like the last ones you would mess with. I see a lot of beefy guys, with maybe a pit bull at the end of a rope, walking around in them.

Apparently they're moderately popular with people in construction and roofing, due to the range of motion and functionality. That, and it's a neat gimmick to have your roofing company all wearing kilts.

Surfrider

Reaction score
Utilikilts aren't exactly "new;" they have been around for, what, ten years or so? Anyway, if I was a big, burly, hairy brute of a man, able to pull this off, I soooo would. That said, I am neither big, hairy, nor brutish. Nor are most of the people I've seen wearing these things. Utilikilts make me think of the old saying "It takes a big man to cry, and an even bigger man to laugh at him." I have seen one notable exception though; some time ago at a Flogging Molly concert, I saw a punked-out kid wearing his leather, Docs, and a black Utilikilt. I must admit, he look pretty ******* awesome.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member