• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Tuxedo/Dinner suit-- seeking input

mdg137

Reaction score
Ive decided to have a new tuxedo done, MTM.

My current black, single breasted, satin peak lapel needs replacing, and Im thinking something different, with bit more flair, but not obnoxious.

My thoughts are down to 4 possiblities:

1. Midnight blue DB, peak lapel, black grosgrain lapels and trim.
2. Midnight blue, Single breasted, 1B, peak, with black grosgrain lapels and trim.
3. Midnight blue, DB, shawl lapel, black satin lapels and trim.
4. Black DB, peak lapel, black grosgrain lapels and trim.

One possible concern would be whether a cream/off white dinner jacket would work with midnight blue pants in the summer.

Id love some help, or at least some input, even if I end up further from a decision!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Those are all nice.

Which is the most "you?"

Do you know? If you do, pick that.

- B

mdg137

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Those are all nice.

Which is the most "you?"

Do you know? If you do, pick that.

- B

You know, Im not sure which is the most "me"!

If I did, I wouldnt have 4 choices! if only I could just get 'em all....

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdg137

Okay, so if that is true, I would go with the black DB. It is a look that you will never second guess.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdg137

If you're going to go MTM, I'd consider sticking to something a bit more standard. I imagine it's hard to correctly proportion a DB dinner suit with shawl lapels by pushing and prodding at a template. But beyond that, have you considered what you'll be using it for? If you're going to be in lots of wedding parties and need to look like the other groomsmen, the safest bet is going to be SB with peak lapels.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I am rarely presented with opportunities to wear a tuxedo. If I were to get one for myself, I'd be going for a dark midnight, single breasted, 1 button, shawl collar one with black trim, like your number 2. I think those look so sharp.

Midnight Blue

Reaction score
I'd stick with the SB and go with the grosgrain because it's so hard to find in RTW tuxedos . . . and has a much more understated elegance than does satin.

And yes, an (off)white jacket will go perfectly fine with midnight blue trousers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads