• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New RTW suit with different length sleeves?

mxmlitvinov

Reaction score
Last week I ordered a new linen Etro suit from Yoox. Not too expensive, but certainly not suspiciously cheap.

Today I went to the tailor to get it adjusted - mainly to have the pants taken out an inch or so. While I was there I tried on the jacket properly for the first time and noticed the sleeves were too long. On closer examination though, the right sleeve was about 1.5cm too long for me, and the left sleeve about .5-1cm too long. The tailor pointed this out and said he'd adjust things accordingly and, somewhat in a trance, I agreed - I verified to myself that the jacket was on straight and my posture was okay and, sure enough, the sleeves came to a different length. He said my arms must be a different length and I decided this sounded fair enough - after all, I know people do have asymmetrical bodies.

After getting home it only really struck me a few hours later - though I've only worn one or two other suits, I never noticed an issue with different arm lengths before. So I tried on various suits and jackets in the wardrobe and couldn't replicate the problem.

I anxiously went back to the tailor and he'd discovered the problem already - the sleeve length on one side of the suit was about 0.7cm longer than on the other. Not particularly noticeable unless you put it on and look. Anyway, this was a new suit as far as I can tell - with tags in trousers and jacket, extra buttons, from Etro via Yoox, no sign of alterations previously, unhemmed and not looking as though it had been made to measure for some asymmetrical 38R before being abandoned. The two cuffs were also the same - same distance from cuff to lining, same distance from cuff to buttons - in short, the jacket had been made like that and not adjusted.

Is this weird or common? The suit looks good and fits well, but I'm surprised to find a new suit with different lengths to the sleeves.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait...what?

1. Put the jacket on.
  2. Have your tailor pin the cuffs at the right length for each arm.
  3. Pick it up with the sleeve adjusted in a few days.
  4. Profit!

Finsen

Reaction score
So, the difference in length between those two sleeves is 0.7cm. Where was the suit made in? I would guess it's a manufacturing error that escaped QC?

mxmlitvinov

Reaction score
I get every step (and am implementing every step) bar the 'profit' one, which I don't understand...

[1] I bought the suit, I intend to wear it.
[2] It wasn't marked down for having different sleeve lengths.
[3] I do have to change the sleeve lengths (which = loss on the original price), but since both the shorter and longer sleeve need taking up anyhow, I'm not at a loss over standard alterations because of the different sleeve lengths.

Just curious as to how rarely inconsistencies like this turn up in RTW clothing.

So, the difference in length between those two sleeves is 0.7cm. Where was the suit made in? I would guess it's a manufacturing error that escaped QC?
I haven't checked around for tags and the jacket's at the tailors now, but since it's Etro I'm presuming it was made in Italy. I suppose it did get through QC though.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of people have one arm longer than the other. Usually, this is the dominant arm.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the problem?

You bought a jacket.
Both sleeves need to be altered, which is almost always the case.

Who cares if they are 0.7cm different in length?

mxmlitvinov

Reaction score
I'm not so much perturbed by it as curious - is such an inconsistency very rare or is it really all too common?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one cares to notice one way or the other.

mxmlitvinov

Reaction score
I'm obviously less apathetic than the average bear.
bored.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads