• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New old New York apartment

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Another superb choice. Please tell me you have those shelves with Herman Miller Aeron chair.

Paris-London-NYC=> nothing rubs off on you doesn' it?

Whassamatta Balki? Frustrated that your trailer walls couldn't support something like this?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SoCal - looks great! It's a good thing that you like shopping - I found the decorating process to be quite tedious. It's worth it in the end when it all comes together. Stick w/ the floor color scheme - the first thing people comment on when visiting is how much they like our floors (which are basically black). You are staining, not painting, correct? Once again, welcome to the neighborhood!
bigstar[1].gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I am enjoying this thread and the pictures, I planned on painting my wall w/ similar colors and the same thing for furniture (except a charcoal couch).

I will be adding this hanging lamp to the living room. Looked awesome in the SoHo store, that picture is kind of funky.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I had never heard of R&B until this thread. How do you all judge the quality of their wood bedroom furniture?

SoCal, more pics.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I had never heard of R&B until this thread. How do you all judge the quality of their wood bedroom furniture?

dollar for dollar, worlds better than the likes of Ikea, etc. Wood things tend to not be particle board and my gf (an architect) says they usually have a very good reputation overall, but an unbeatable reputation for the price point (generally speaking). I was just at their SoHo store last night and picked out a couch for my new place, and it was clearly the best built example in my price range. I also like them for the vast amount of options they have, any 1 table can be available in 2-3 different sizes, 5-6 different heights, and then a vareity of leg options, materials, colors, etc.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
The coffee table is what's bugging me the most. Where in NY (even Brooklyn...Wburg) is a good spot to find vintage stuff? I don't neccisarily mean antique or $8,000 mid-century chair, but just some place where there would be a whole range of ****.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are "antique" places in Chelsea - isn't there a big flea market in Dumbo?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any particular places? I've browsed some of those in Soho and in the W20's but have not found anything to covet. I've seen more interesting things at Housing Works. Where do you go to find midcentury vintage instead of the really old stuff?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
Any particular places? I've browsed some of those in Soho and in the W20's but have not found anything to covet. I've seen more interesting things at Housing Works. Where do you go to find midcentury vintage instead of the really old stuff?

In Chelsea, I couldn't tell you - there's a number of shops btw 6 & 7 and also the garage turning into a flea market on weekends. There's also a guy on CL who sells great danish pieces - his location is NY/NJ or something like that. I know it's a lame description but he's a nice guy and delivers everything to your apartment. We bought two credenzas from him a few years ago.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What about the Laccio coffee table? We ordered one in black for our living room.

laccio.jpg

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
To each his own, of course, but I just don't know how you guys can get into that awful modern furniture. It's so cold and uninviting to me.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
To each his own, of course, but I just don't know how you guys can get into that awful modern furniture. It's so cold and uninviting to me.

werd. Seems like the kind of stuff you have to change often in order to stay "cool".

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas

Originally Posted by edmorel
werd. Seems like the kind of stuff you have to change often in order to stay "cool".

For me, it's quite the opposite. When forms are simple and to the point, there's less to fall in and out of fashion.

JonB27

Reaction score
I agree, I like the simple minimalist approach but just like with anything else everyone has different taste.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel

Its the very opposite in fact. Those coffee tables Foo mentioned? Designed in 1925. Same thing for the Barcelona chairs. Eames lounge chair? 1956 I believe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads