• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

Jeff Rudasill

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am starting in a new career as a credit analyst for a commercial bank, and need some help with some questions I have.

I am looking for a good shoe brush to buff my shoes with, and a good cloth to wipe off my shoes of any dust etc... but as a person just starting out, I do not need real expensive, just a good quality shoe brush, that does not have rough edges on the block, made of good horse hair that does not shed constantly etc...

on the cloths, I was going to buy some shoe cloths from Allen Edmonds, but have heard bad things about their cloths fuzzing up really bad, so would like a cloth that doesn't leave fuzz on my shoes.

I am getting a Kent CP6 clothes brush, so I am good on my wools and cashmeres.

Should I use dust covers on my suits when not wearing them? I will be rotating between 6 suits, and not sure if I should keep them in breathable garment bags or at the least, use dust covers? Important, or waste of money?

On hangers, I have found a few different places that seem to have nice suit hangers such as:
best hangers.com
only hangers.com
hanger classics.com
container store.com

I know Butler and The hanger project are the standard, but cannot afford them yet, so I want to buy hangers from a reliable place, that makes a good hanger, that is smooth and will not snag my suits, and shirts, will not have its finish rub off on my suits and shirts, good quality swivel top hook, and a felted or ribbed trouser bar, contoured and 18-18.5".

Would like to get some info from people whom have dealt with any of these sites, and an opinion about the hangers.

any help would be appreciated.

cioa

Reaction score
I am looking to buy more first suit with no more than $750. I am a slim guy at 5'10" and 150 lbs. I have a 36" chest and a 31" inseam. I am looking to get a slimmer suit, but is that all down to the tailor? And if not, what are some brands that suit this style and budget?

In the future I will buy more suits, but for now I am looking to nail down the classics. And for me, it doesn't get more classic than a solid black. Another vital factor in this purchase is for the suit to be durable and last me a long time (I do not want a suit made of delicate material), as well as fully canvassed. I will have none of that fused crap. I would also like this suit to be multi-seasonal; good for the summer and winter.

I was scouting it out online and found this suit and am wondering if it is a suit that fits all of my criteria. Are Canali's generally slimmer suits? Is this a good deal?

If not what are brands that I should look for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CANALI-...-Front-Suit-46-36R-38R-NWT-1795-/400835836128

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Jeff. Saphir makes a great brush that you can get from a number of places, but they run around $30. You can get a brush from Kiwi for around $8 that will get the job done. I would invest in breathable suit bags. At the end of the day, I brush my suit/jacket, let it air out overnight and then hang it in the bag until it's worn again. For hanger, I have a couple from The HP and they are great but if they are too pricey, the ones from the Container Store aren't bad at all. Just make sure you get the right size. Best of luck.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am looking to buy more first suit with no more than $750. I am a slim guy at 5'10" and 150 lbs. I have a 36" chest and a 31" inseam. I am looking to get a slimmer suit, but is that all down to the tailor? And if not, what are some brands that suit this style and budget?

In the future I will buy more suits, but for now I am looking to nail down the classics. And for me, it doesn't get more classic than a solid black. Another vital factor in this purchase is for the suit to be durable and last me a long time (I do not want a suit made of delicate material), as well as fully canvassed. I will have none of that fused crap. I would also like this suit to be multi-seasonal; good for the summer and winter.

I was scouting it out online and found this suit and am wondering if it is a suit that fits all of my criteria. Are Canali's generally slimmer suits? Is this a good deal?

If not what are brands that I should look for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CANALI-Solid-Black-Wool-2Btn-Dual-Vents-Flat-Front-Suit-46-36R-38R-NWT-1795-/400835836128

Welcome to the forum, ciao. First things first....there is nothing classic about a black suit if you plan on wearing it in a typical business setting. The two classics or "staples" are navy and grey. Have you checked out Suit Supply? They are within your budget and are half canvassed and have some styles/fits you would probably like.

Last edited:

cioa

Reaction score

Welcome to the forum, ciao. First things first....there is nothing classic about a black suit if you plan on wearing it in a typical business setting. The two classics or "staples" are navy and grey. Have you checked out Suit Supply? They are within your budget and are half canvassed and have some styles/fits you would probably like.

I have checked out suitsupply, but I would like a fully canvassed suit. And I wouldn't want to buy one of their suits online as I understand their in store selection is better. Their closest store is in Chicago, and I have been thinking about going, but from what I've seen there are other better options in my price range.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have checked out suitsupply, but I would like a fully canvassed suit. And I wouldn't want to buy one of their suits online as I understand their in store selection is better. Their closest store is in Chicago, and I have been thinking about going, but from what I've seen there are other better options in my price range.

They carry everything they offer online, which will exceed any stores selection. If that's not the route you want to go, fair enough.

Have you checked out Satoria Partropena on eBay? Another option is Benjamin from eHaberdasher...fully canvassed and at a great price. Many members on this forum have a suit from Ben and seem very happy.

cioa

Reaction score

They carry everything they offer online, which will exceed any stores selection. If that's not the route you want to go, fair enough.

Have you checked out Satoria Partropena on eBay? Another option is Benjamin from eHaberdasher...fully canvassed and at a great price. Many members on this forum have a suit from Ben and seem very happy.

Thanks for the input. Would you say those are better suits to consider than the Canali suit I am looking at? And a better value?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for the input. Would you say those are better suits to consider than the Canali suit I am looking at? And a better value?

Canali makes a nice suit and I'm pretty sure Satoria Partropena pricing is similar on eBay. I prefer the cut of SP, but I wouldn't say one has the edge over the other, quality wise. Full disclosure: I have only tried on both of those makers. I don't own anything from them. I have also tried on Benjamin and they are a great value....limited options, but they have all the staples. They are well made and the fabrics are nice. You can get almost 3 Benjamin for what you would pay for 2 Canali/SP. Just depends on what you want.

thinknothing

Reaction score
After having some good advice on where to look to have a bespoke morning suit made in Hong Kong, I am going to take the plunge but I am quite young and I don't want to look too old school!

I am looking for some guidance as to what is acceptable and would go well together.

At the moment, I am considering a plain black coat, houndstooth trousers, buff waistcoat and navy tie with white spots.

The tailor that I am going to is not as keen on me going for a linen waistcoat. Is linen the norm for morning dress? Are houndstooth trousers considered a bit too old-fashioned? Or, are they so old-fashioned they are actually a bit edgy now? Do you think that a black herringbone coat would be too much pattern when paired with houndstooth trousers? Finally, what sort of buttons do you tend to have on your waistcoat?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
After having some good advice on where to look to have a bespoke morning suit made in Hong Kong, I am going to take the plunge but I am quite young and I don't want to look too old school!

I am looking for some guidance as to what is acceptable and would go well together.

At the moment, I am considering a plain black coat, houndstooth trousers, buff waistcoat and navy tie with white spots.

The tailor that I am going to is not as keen on me going for a linen waistcoat. Is linen the norm for morning dress? Are houndstooth trousers considered a bit too old-fashioned? Or, are they so old-fashioned they are actually a bit edgy now? Do you think that a black herringbone coat would be too much pattern when paired with houndstooth trousers? Finally, what sort of buttons do you tend to have on your waistcoat?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Welcome to the forum, think. I'm no expert on this subject so I'm going to ask for the help of @unbelragazzo . Also, this is worth a read...especially the section on morning suits: http://ethandesu.com/post/115002174699/dressing-successfully

Lodar

Reaction score
Hey all,
I will start my internship soon at a Canadian company (I'm Dutch myself) and their policy is business casual during normal workdays and business on events.
I recently had to say goodbye to my brown leather shoes so currently I only have 2 other shoes left that could fit this purpose.
Unfortunately I have the fashion sense of a potato, so I was hoping you could help!

It would be much appreciated and below you will find pictures of the combinations I have available (I would like to wear all pants, so even if you think there is no fit, please let me know the "best" fit :) ).

Business:

Business Casual:

kenmond

Reaction score
So, I just joined Styleforum. I have always had a keen interest in shoes, but I did not take the time to fully educate myself re: build quality etc. I was always more interested in "fashion shoes" and "fashion houses" etc. The irony being that I own a cast iron cobbler's last and I do some work on my shoes (replacing heels and adding rubber topys to shoes and leather "topys" to make my boots look more stout).

Anyway, at the ripe old age of 43, I figured it was time to get myself some quality kicks...and start selling my Kenneth Cole shoes and boots, and Mark Nason boots (not the flashy stuff) on ebay...time to move on. I will probably hold onto some of my Cole Haan stuff for a while though...I like my casual saddle shoes.

Anyway, I came across a pair of used, ebay Bruno Magli Maioccos for $135...they are in great condition...barely used.

But that's not the brag...I took a trip to Allen Edmonds today. It dawned on me that I might need to figure out sizing before I start shopping online for Allen Edmonds.

There was a sale that apparently could only be seen on the in-house computers. I walked away with a size 14,pairof Neumoks for $117...first quality, brand new. This is just in time for Easter and the summer...I couldn't be more pleased.

I mean, my first pair of "real shoes" and it only set me back $117. And yes, I do realize that the Neumoks are a casual shoe, but still...you just can't beat that price. I got them in green...which has been discontinued. The Neumoks are currently listed for $275 on the website. You might want to give your local store a call, if you want the green ones...they are no longer on the website. I had to order them in the store, for delivery (which is free).

My next pair of Allen Edmonds will probably be the Strand. From what I am to understand, these don't go on much of a sale, being very popular and all.

I also came across this blazer for $90. It's Brooks Brothers. That is not my shirt/tie combination...

I know that some might find it hideous (styleforum can be brutal sometimes), but I live in Atlanta, Georgia. There are plenty of outdoor events that merit such a jacket.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey all,
I will start my internship soon at a Canadian company (I'm Dutch myself) and their policy is business casual during normal workdays and business on events.

I recently had to say goodbye to my brown leather shoes so currently I only have 2 other shoes left that could fit this purpose.

Unfortunately I have the fashion sense of a potato, so I was hoping you could help!

It would be much appreciated and below you will find pictures of the combinations I have available (I would like to wear all pants, so even if you think there is no fit, please let me know the "best" fit :) ).

Welcome to the forum, Lodar. If that's what you have to work with, then the left show for 1-2 and the right for the rest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics