• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New CT jodhpurs - two questions

mxmlitvinov

Reaction score
I just received some Charles Tyrwhitt jodhpurs in the post and they look great and seem to fit fine. I just have two questions about them.

[1] The strap that pulls the two halves of the ankle section together has three holes for adjustment, but it would need to go even tighter for the shoe to securely fit around my ankle. The shoe is perfectly secure on my foot without strapping it in, but is it best to keep the ankle looser or stick an extra whole in and make the ankle section cosy too? This might be a no brainer, but it seems the tighter the ankle, the more the two boot sections have to warp a bit to wrap around.
[2] They make a leather 'creaking' sound at the moment. I'm not sure if it's new leather on leather or just new leather stretching, but every time I walk there's a slight creak. Any ideas how long until this noise should start to dissipate?

http://ctshirts.scene7.com/is/image/...t/MBAJOD?$278$

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are the Jodhpurs working out after a month?
I've been eyeing them lately- Tyrwhitt is closer to my range than C+J.

element02

Reaction score
I sent back 2 pairs of the CT jodhpurs. The fit was great, though both pairs had very visible flaws and should have been marked as Subs.

atlirk

Reaction score
I was about to make my own thread, but I can as well post in here.

The Charles tyrwhitt jodhpur and the Loake jodhpur look very similar. Is it the same boot? And are those two mentioned boots quality boots?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atlirk
I was about to make my own thread, but I can as well post in here.

The Charles tyrwhitt jodhpur and the Loake jodhpur look very similar. Is it the same boot? And are those two mentioned boots quality boots?

Yes, the CT jodhpur and the Loake jodhpur are the same.
Pretty much all, if not absolutely all, of Tyrwhitt's shoes are made by Loake.
Some are immediately recognisable as such, others are most likely specifically made for Tyrwhitt.

Loakes are not bad shoes, although clearly not as finely made as forum favourites such as C&J or Edward Green. Some have criticised their lasts for being a little inelegant, but I don't mind Loakes personally. Steer clear of any corrected grain models and I think that they are good value for money.

I would not buy any Tyrwhitt shoes unless it was during an end-of-season 50% off sale. This is because Loake's normal retail (via Pediwear, Herring Shoes or P.Lal) is normally only about 60% of CT's list price for their shoes.

atlirk

Reaction score
Great, thanks. Is it just me, or is the Loake jodhpur not to find anywhere on any of above mentioned sites?

EDIT: I have found them looking very similar, but they are made by barker. is that also fine quality?

gpe

Reaction score
Greetings all,

thank you for a very interesting forum, I guess time has come to share my minuscule knowledge of sartorial matters:

I have not seen Loake's jodhpur boots in a while, and I have half-heartedly searched for them. I see that they are not listed on their webpage either (www.loake.co.uk). So CT might be the only way to get the Loake version(?) I'm in general quite happy with the Loake shoes I have (from the 1880's range). I do have some bad experiences with the "Design" range.

It is a good advice to stay away from the grain corrected, and buy Loake instead of CT, if possible. CT has by the way some shoes labelled "made in Italy", and I would assume they are not made by Loake.

Little experience with Barker, only a pair from the "anniversary collection", which I feel is well made at a good price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads