• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Boots: Break-in Discomfort or Remedy in Order?

Sadly Not Yohji Yamamoto

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a new pair of boots I've worn once so far. I am also new to boots.

After the initial wear, my left foot feels just fine, however, the "1st knuckle" of my big toe (or perhaps it's called the MTP joint: toeanatomy.jpg) on my right foot hurts a fair amount. I do understand there is a break-in process for boots so perhaps this is part of that process, but because it only occurred on one foot, I took a look at the vamp of the shoes.

The main crease that forms on the vamp where your toes and metatarsals meet (break_c5501470-287d-473e-833f-3c17fcecdd59_600x.jpg) is a little higher up on the vamp of the right shoe.

1. Is it reasonable to assume this is the source of the discomfort rather than this being a general break-in discomfort?
2. Is it possible to force the right shoe to crease in the vamp at a different area, say the same area as the left shoe, to potentially remedy the discomfort?

Thanks for any help!

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a new pair of boots I've worn once so far. I am also new to boots.

After the initial wear, my left foot feels just fine, however, the "1st knuckle" of my big toe (or perhaps it's called the MTP joint: toeanatomy.jpg) on my right foot hurts a fair amount. I do understand there is a break-in process for boots so perhaps this is part of that process, but because it only occurred on one foot, I took a look at the vamp of the shoes.

The main crease that forms on the vamp where your toes and metatarsals meet (break_c5501470-287d-473e-833f-3c17fcecdd59_600x.jpg) is a little higher up on the vamp of the right shoe.

1. Is it reasonable to assume this is the source of the discomfort rather than this being a general break-in discomfort?
2. Is it possible to force the right shoe to crease in the vamp at a different area, say the same area as the left shoe, to potentially remedy the discomfort?

Thanks for any help!
They say that back in the day, the landed gentry would give their new shoes to a serf and let him break them in. If you don't have any serfs handy, I would give the boots more time to break in while gradually increasing the time you wear them. Most people's feet are not perfectly alike so it is not unusual to experience discomfort in one shoe. If that doesn't help you can buy shoe/boot stretchers. (The boot versions have a longer handle and work fine on shoes as well.) Or any cobbler can do it for you. It's only possible to stretch width, not length.

tecevo

Reaction score
Personally I like the tip of wearing an oversized pair of socks and then heating up the discomfort point with a hairdryer as you move your toes around in order to customize the stretch/fit of the shoe before applying some conditioner to the leather.

Other people yelp in discomfort at the very idea but it works well in my experience as the combination of heat, oversized socks and movement creates that essential wiggle room without having to endure breaking them in.

Sadly Not Yohji Yamamoto

Reaction score
Other people yelp in discomfort at the very idea but it works well in my experience as the combination of heat, oversized socks and movement creates that essential wiggle room without having to endure breaking them in.

I imagine they yelp at the idea of applying the heat directly. Thanks for the idea!

tecevo

Reaction score
I imagine they yelp at the idea of applying the heat directly. Thanks for the idea!

The aim is not to cook them but apply a moderate amount of heat from a sensible distance to allow the material to flex. Personally I tend to spend quite a bit of time when doing this and it works really well as it achieves the same fit just without the pain.

Sadly Not Yohji Yamamoto

Reaction score
The aim is not to cook them but apply a moderate amount of heat from a sensible distance to allow the material to flex. Personally I tend to spend quite a bit of time when doing this and it works really well as it achieves the same fit just without the pain.

Makes sense. Something I'll consider.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads