• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New 100% linen pants: should I wash, dry clean, or do nothing before having them altered?

HPT704

Reaction score
New 100% linen Ralph Lauren pants - instructions say dry clean only. I did look through some old SF threads and there was mixed advice about whether it was safe to hand wash, machine wash, or dry clean in terms of shinkage. Right now the waist fits perfect, but the length is about 1-2 inches too long. So I wouldn't mind some shrinkage in the length, but I'm worried about the waist. Should I do some form of washing to try to pre-shrink before alteration, or do nothing?

Attachments

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you’re ok having them dry cleaned first and then have them altered.

I’ve washed linen on gentle in cold water and line dried. Seems to be fine.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pants from Lauren are likely OK to be washed in the laundry machine.

Higher end pants -- whether made from wool, cotton, linen, or other materials -- should be dry cleaned. If they are intended to project a cleaner, more tailored look, a wet wash can cause the interlining and side seams to shrink at different rates. Think about how the trousers were made and the intended styling. A telltale sign is whether the side seams are made with single or double-needle stitching.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.