• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Never wear black dress shoes?

moxer

Reaction score
My two pair of black dress shoes are getting ratty, and in the course of looking for new ones, came to the realization that black dress shoes are boring. Yes, custom-made cap toes are nicer than J&M, but not to the extent of brown, etc. especially if I'm going to be spending $200-$400.

Assuming I never wear my black shoes again, what 4-5 pair of dress shoes should I have to wear with suits (blue/gray) 5 days a week? Three shades/styles of brown (maybe a dress boot?) and a cordovan? Or, should I just get over it and buy new black shoes?

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by moxer
My two pair of black dress shoes are getting ratty, and in the course of looking for new ones, came to the realization that black dress shoes are boring. Yes, custom-made cap toes are nicer than J&M, but not to the extent of brown, etc. especially if I'm going to be spending $200-$400.

Assuming I never wear my black shoes again, what 4-5 pair of dress shoes should I have to wear with suits (blue/gray) 5 days a week? Three shades/styles of brown (maybe a dress boot?) and a cordovan? Or, should I just get over it and buy new black shoes?

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...-wardrobe.html

I prefer darker browns but that's just me. I wouldn't do away with black entirely...when I intially joined SF, I was a convert to brown only but now I realize black can look very sleek. I have 7 pairs of dress shoes, 5 brown and 2 black.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Despite the iGent bias against black shoes, you will always need a pair of black shoes in your wardrobe. Just not the duck-billed Kenneth Cole type.

moxer

Reaction score
Well, I do have a pair of Barney's label black cap toes (not sure who actually made them), and Cole Haan plain toe slip-ons, but I was thinking more about the more expensive shoes I buy in the future. Those two pair are good enough for when I need black, but I'm thinking two black, two cordovan and three brown should be pretty good.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by moxer
Well, I do have a pair of Barney's label black cap toes (not sure who actually made them), and Cole Haan plain toe slip-ons, but I was thinking more about the more expensive shoes I buy in the future. Those two pair are good enough for when I need black, but I'm thinking two black, two cordovan and three brown should be pretty good.
Although I like black shoes and wear them often, your plan sounds fine.

Butterfly

Reaction score
I've a nuanced take on this question. Traditionally, brown shoes were for not for city wear, though this bias was stronger in Britain than in America. I have no scruple against wearing brown shoes in town, but too much respect for history to give up wearing black entirely. A solid wardrobe has both.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black EG Chelesa and JLP Chapel is def. gonna be in my shoe wardrobe one day
smile.gif

emptym

Reaction score
So did I, what a coincidence!

emptym

Reaction score
Dude, if you hadn't said anything, they wouldn't know. Now I have to deny things.

I wore it for graduation. My first time on the stage. Fun. Thought black shoes went well w/ the black robes.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Dude, if you hadn't said anything, they wouldn't know. Now I have to deny things.

Well, I'll always be second-fiddle anyways. I mean, I've never ridden in Matt's car...you have that unique distinction among SF'ers...

I wore it for graduation. My first time on the stage. Fun. Thought black shoes went well w/ the black robes.
Nice. I'm curious to hear the whole story, did you give a speech and all?

And speaking of graduation robes, last week I saw a guy in black robes crossing 3rd and Howard. My initial reaction was "supreme court justice?" then I noticed the details on the sleeve and figured he was headed for a graduation ceremony.

Probably the second best person I saw IRL that day...after myself of course.

emptym

Reaction score
You can ride on the back of my bike some time. How's that? But only if you wear black shoes. I didn't give a speech. The valedictorian did, and she said 90% of it was based on things she learned in my classes. She quoted me two or three times. Second best dressed person?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
You can ride on the back of my bike some time. How's that? But only if you wear black shoes.

Only if my initials are carved on the footpegs...standards of exclusivity and all...

I didn't give a speech. The valedictorian did, and she said 90% of it was based on things she learned in my classes. She quoted me two or three times.
Sweet, I'd like to see her endnotes some time...

Second best dressed person?
Second best, in every way.

emptym

Reaction score
In that case, your initials will be there. Every other part has been claimed, but I've been saving my footpegs for the best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads